Search for content in message boards

Mystery of the death of John Moore Walker

Replies: 1

Mystery of the death of John Moore Walker

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WALKER, WOODS
I am just beginning to dip my toes into researching in Caldwell County and am in need of advice and direction.

I am researching John Moore Walker, the son of Joseph Culton Walker and Jane Moore of Rockbridge County, Virginia. The "bible" of this branch of Walker Family genealogy is The Genealogy of the Descendants of John Walker of Wigton, Scotland, by Emma Siggins White, 1902. This is the springboard from which our Walker research begins.

Regarding John Moore Walker: It is stated in the Walker Genealogy that he was a banker in Nashville, Tenn., and died there in 1816. Does this bear out with the facts?

It seems that John stopped over in Caldwell County, Kentucky, before he went on to Nashville, if he ever indeed did. He was enumerated in the 1810 census in Rockbridge County, Virginia, after which he was supposed to have gone on to Nashville. However, I was noticing that consistently his youngest three children, John Moore Walker, Robert Woods Walker and Elspa Walker, were born "in Kentucky." I found references to this family being in Caldwell County in two on-line histocial papers. Two of John's daughters, Catherine (Robert Lapsley)and Mary Margaret (John Duke Kelly) married in Caldwell Co.

John's wife Margaret Woods Walker supposedly died in Caldwell Co. in 1841, but since she is buried in Nashville City Cemetery, that must be incorrect. However, I believe Margaret is the "Widow Walker" enumerated in Caldwell County in 1820.

I am in need of property records, tax records and most importantly will/probate to prove that John Moore Walker did indeed settle in Caldwell County from about 1811 to 1816 and probably died there. That some of his family moved on to Nashville probably gave rise to his "dying in Nashville."

Can someone familiar with Caldwell Co. please point me in the right direction?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Suzanne Frant... 22 Jan 2013 7:06PM GMT 
bjj63 23 Jan 2013 3:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions