Search for content in message boards

Stevens Cemetery Location

Replies: 4

Re: Stevens Cemetery Location

Posted: 27 May 2013 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 May 2013 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens, Stephens, Craig, Barker
As this post is 10 years old I know it's a longshot to receive a reply from the original author, but my husband (a Stevens descendant) and I just returned from a visit to Grahn in the hopes of locating the graves of his ancestors. My only regret of the trip was not being able to find Stevens Cemetery. Well, I guess "find" isn't the right word--we found the entrance to the cemetery, but there was no way our little four-door car could make it up the gutted, 45-degree dirt road that leads to the cemetery at the top of the hill. There was no sign, but we followed the directions found on the Carter County Genweb site, and easily found the entrance to the path. We spoke with some Stevens descendants in Olive Hill, and were told that we had indeed found the right place, but to reach the cemetery you need a mule (like they used in the "old days" to reach the burial site), a tractor or a very tough four-wheel-drive. We were also told that there is a Stevens ancestor named Danny Carroll who makes the trip up the hill every few years to maintain the site. I believe that George Washington Stevens, his wife Phoebe Craig Stevens, and his parents William Stevens and Elizabeth Barker are buried there, and I'm desperately seeking photos of the stones or at least an enumeration of the graves there. I've attached a photo of the area that I'm calling the entrance to this cemetery so that others can help me determine if this is the right Stevens Cemetery. Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Sloan 17 Jul 2001 10:48AM GMT 
Mark Jordan 17 Jul 2001 9:53PM GMT 
John Sloan 19 Jul 2001 10:38AM GMT 
pbhartley 28 May 2013 1:13AM GMT 
barbaramaddix 18 Jun 2013 2:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions