Search for content in message boards

OUTWOOD HOSPITAL?

Replies: 5

Re: OUTWOOD HOSPITAL

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 10:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
My mother, Mary Denton Ladd, was an RN and my father, Clyde, worked in the laundry at Outwood through 1959, having met and married while working there. I spent much of my younger years at various activities on the grounds, family holiday parties, as well as attended church in the chapel each Sunday. As a student nurse in college, I worked there one summer, after it was an institution for the cognitively challenged. During that time, the buildings seemed to have been the same. After moving away, I went back at one point and it was all gone, except for the newer building that is probably still in use today. I think the chapel was the only building still there. I was in shock in how a city could just vanish from the earth. It had been like a city unto itself, with many large wards, dining hall, recreation center with a bowling alley, nursing and orderly quarters, and the huge two story homes of the physicians that lived on the campus. The grounds were beautifully landscaped with an arbor. The Dawson Springs Museum notes that they have a collection on Outwood's VA days. LT
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lynn moss 10 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Janie Manasco 26 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
kjackson0222 23 Apr 2013 4:09PM GMT 
slumbers1 24 Apr 2013 3:55PM GMT 
LindaTownsend... 15 Oct 2013 4:30AM GMT 
Tom Atkinson 16 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions