Search for content in message boards

MORROW, FRAME, FIELD, BUSH, BROWNING, TRIMBLE, HALSEL, GIBSON

Replies: 11

Re: MORROW, GIBSON, FRAME

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 10:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MORROW, GIBSON, HAMILTON, SALE, KIRBY, SCOTT, McGINNIS, TULL
I am descended from I am descended from David McGinnis and Elizabeth Gibson, and I know there were strong connections and intermarriages of the McGinnis, Gibson, and Lillard families in Gallatin County, Kentucky. My information is that a David Gibson (born c. 1781 Spotsylvania County Va., died 1850 Gallatin County) was married to a Mary Morrow
I recently received a query about Curtis Morrow who married Zerelda Hamilton, believe to be the daughter of Allen A. Hamilton and Lucy Sale. There may be confusion here, because the death certificate of Lucy Murrow Scott gives her father's name as Curtis Morrow and her mother's as Zerelda "Salls."

Curtis and Zerelda lived in Gallatin County, Kentucky and their children listed in the 1850 and 1860 censuses, born from c.1831 to c. 1855, were Mary Allen., John J., William T., Richard H., Martha A., Alice, and Lucy Morrow. Curtis must have died some time after c. 1855. Lucy Hamilton, presumably Lucy's mother, is living with the family in the 1850 and 1860 censues.

Mary Allen Morrow married John W. Kirby and he was Sheriff of Gallatin County during the Civil War and Richard H. Morrow was his deputy after the war and may have become Sheriff himself. Morrow and Kirby were involved in a nationally-reported incident when after the war they arrested the former Union Provost Marshall for Gallatin County, Cyrus W. Farris, pulling him off of a passing steamboat, and tried to charge him with the "murders" of two men in Gallatin County during the war. One of the men killed by Union troops was Richard's brother (and Kirby's brother-in-law) John J. Morrow, who had deserted from the Union Army and had been in John Hunt Morgan's CSA forces, and was hiding in the woods when he was tracked down and killed. The other man killed, John W. Baker, was executed for aiding Morrow. Sheriff Kirby was prosecuted for his actions and his case went to the U. S. Supreme Court [ 74 US (7 Wall.), 489 (1869) ]. Kirby later moved to Carrollton and is buried in the local IOOF Cemetery, as is one of his sons, David Gibson Kirby.

An excellent article about the affair, "With Malice Toward Some," by David Achtenberg, was published in the Rutgers Law Journal, Vol. 26, No.2, page 273 (1995)

MISC NOTES:
---------------------------------------------

Boone County Marriages:
MCGINNIS, Smith & Mary Jane MORROW, 11 Mar. 1828, m by David Lillard, b Washington Barkley, c by mother Margaret E. Morrow, w by R. Gibson, A- 108, Boone Co., KY
I wonder if this is the Margaret Gibson who married Thomas F. Morrow on Feb 21 1807 in Clark County, Kentucky.

LOOKUPS:

Gallatin County Deeds to 1808: no Morrows

Gallatin Marriages to 1906:

Enoch Murray to Jemima Gray - December 1809
Edward Tull to Mary Ann Morrow July 28 1831
John W Kirby to Mary Allen Morrow Sept 18 1851
R H Morrow to Margaret Ann Hobbs April 28 1868
John S McKittrick to Alice V Morrow August 20 1868

-------
--------------------------------------

Gallatin Marriages:

Allen A. Hamilton to Lucy Sale Nov 20 1813 - consent by father Robert Sale
Bond: Wm Sale Minister: John Scott

There was an Allen A. Hamilton who led a local company during the 1812 War, serving in the Battle of the Thames in Canada in 1813.

Edward Tull to Mary Ann Morrow July 28 1831 by Rev. Richard D. Bird
Consent July 21 by J. I. Gibson: Orphan Girl, Mary Ann Morrow, I have raised,
will be of age Oct 10 1831, her parents died when she was about 4 years old.
She had no guardian or estate.

Gallatin Cemetery Records:

No Morrows in what I have

Gallatin Death Records:

Carrie Morrow - died July 1880 - aged 3

Morrows in Carrollton IOOF on Findagrave:

Morrow, Clara
b. 1853 d. 1932

Morrow, Francis M.
b. Sep. 25, 1835 d. Feb. 7, 1901

Morrow, James
b. 1812 d. Feb. 10, 1878

Kentucky, Death Records, 1852-1953 about Lucy Jane Scott
Name: Lucy Jane Scott
[Lucy Jane Morrow]
Death Date: Sep 1920
Death Location: Boone
Ethnicity: White
Birth Date: 9 Apr 1855
Birth Location: Kentucky
Father's Name: Curtis Morrow
Father's Birth Location: Kentucky
Mother's Name: Zerrelda Salls
Mother's Birth Location: Kentucky

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BillMorrow97 26 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
carolyncarter... 26 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
PatriciaMcMil... 26 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
BillMorrow97 27 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
williamalbert... 18 Aug 2013 4:53PM GMT 
Marilyn Swanson 4 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Kitty Parton 17 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT 
charles McMillen 15 Oct 2003 7:02PM GMT 
PatMcMillan46 15 Oct 2003 7:36PM GMT 
BillMorrow97 15 Oct 2003 10:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions