Search for content in message boards

1917 OBITUARY - Margaret (NUTT) BOSTON

Replies: 0

1917 OBITUARY - Margaret (NUTT) BOSTON

Posted: 2 May 2014 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Boston, Nutt, Carter, Love, Short, Nunn, Cochran, Lamb, Rochester, Haynes
NONOGENARIAN

Crosses The Bar--Mrs. Boston
Passes Away in Her 94th Year.

Mrs. Margaret Nutt Boston, venerable relict of Jacob Boston, died at six o'clock Saturday evening, Dec. 15th, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. B. Carter, on the Salem road six miles from this city. She was in her 94th year, having been born July 18, 1824. She was a native of Pittsburg, Pa., and on a visit to her sister at Hillman's Rolling Mill in Lyon county when she met her husband to whom she was married in 1853. Her husband died there about 1869 and she had lived a widow almost a half century. She was the last of a family of twelve children and was a descendant of Lord Hume of Ireland and her parents as well as her husband's, all came from Ireland.

The deceased is survived by four children, two daughters, Mrs. Mary Love, of Clay, Ky., widow of H. C. Love, of the Siloam section, being the oldest, and Mrs. Maria Bowles Carter, wife of J. B. Carter; two sons being City Marshall George E. Boston and J. Noble Boston, owner of the Boston Plaining Mills & Lumber Co., of this city. Mrs. Boston has nineteen grand children living and sixteen great grand children.

She had been a life long member of the Methodist church and although totally blind for many years, was submissive to her Master's will and was always cheerful and uncomplaining. Mrs. Boston had the distinction of never having traveled on a train and never saw an automobile, her blindness coming about the time they came into use in this section.

The beloved remains were brought here Monday, arriving at noon and were taken to the Methodist church, where the funeral was conducted by Rev. H. R. Short the pastor, assisted by Rev. T. Carter, after which the burial took place in the new cemetery, the official board of the Methodist church, acting as pall-bearers, they being Dr. F. W. Nunn, T. H. Cochran, R. I. Nunn, C. W. Lamb, J. G. Rochester, and C. W. Haynes.

The floral offerings were beautiful. The following is

A TRIBUTE TO MRS. BOSTON.
(By T. C. Carter)

Truly a Princess in Israel has fallen. A true and tried veteran of the cross of Jesus Christ has been called to her great reward. Mrs. Boston--as I have know and esteemed her--was truly a great and good woman, possessing all those sterling womanly and Christian characteristics which conspire to make one great and good. She was great and good in that she was a child of God by His regenerating grace, and therefore partook of His divine nature, and character and spirit, and was an heir to His rich estate.

She was great and good because of her loyalty to Jesus Christ, her savior and King, joyously doing His good will. She was great because of her loyalty to her church. She was a typical Methodist of the John Wesley type, believed the doctrines of her church, and lived a deeply pious and consistent consecrated life. She loved the preachers, elders and bishops, and was acquainted with many of them. She was great and good because of her unswerving devotion and fidelity and love to her family and her friends, guarding well their every interests. Truly she was as a shock of corn, ripe and ready for the harvesting; ripe in age, ripe in a sweet experience of grace, ripe in the Christian graces which she had supplied into her faith in these long years of faithful serving. Ripe in good works, and could say with the apostle Paul: "I am ready to be offered, the time of my departure is at hand, I have fought the good fight, I have kept the faith, I have finished my course, henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness." And with Paul: "To depart and be with Christ, is far better." And again: "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

"Oh; to be ready when death shall come, oh, to be ready to hasten home."

"There is a happy land far, far, away where saints immortal reign bright, bright as day. O how they sweetly sing worthy is our Savior King, loud let His praises ring, praise, praise for aye."

"We speak of the realms of the blest, of that country so bright and fair, but what must it be to be there?" What must it be to there?

Mother Boston's parting moments were as calmly, bright and sweet as a bright sunshiney, balmy May evening.

But thou art gone; not lost, but flown,
Shall I then ask thee back, my own,
Back--and leave thy spirit's brightness?
Back--and leave thy robes of whiteness?
Back--and leave thine angel world?
Back--and leave those streets of gold?
Back--and leave the Lamb who feeds thee?
Back--from the founts to which He leads thee?
Back--and leave thy heavenly Father?
Back--to earth and sin?--Nay rather
Would I live in solitude;
I would not ask thee if I could;
But patient wait the high decree,
That calls my spirit home to thee.

Crittenden Record-Press. (Marion, Ky.) 1909-1919, December 20, 1917, Edition 1, Image 5 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic