Search for content in message boards

Yates of Kentucky

Replies: 2

Re: Yates of Kentucky

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crask Yates
My Grandmother was a Crask.Catherine Rose Yates was her aunt.Granny told me Clint and Rose moved to Oklahoma.Granny gave me a notebook with her family members.She had cousin beside the name and address of Omar Yates.Below that was Herman Hust with address and phone number.The parents of Catherine Rose Crask were Gideon Rice Crask and Sarah Morris of Yelvington Ky.Sarah Morris was the daughter of Abraham Morris and Eliza Mathis. The brothers and sisters of Catherine Rose Crask Yates were,Viola Ann Wiles,Charles Allen Crask,Robert Rice Crask,Lee Jackson Crask,Susan Longest,Sarah Elizabeth Hall,Rachel Magdalen Bailey,Benjamin Hillary Crask,Mary Brown.Most of them moved to the Stanley,Sorgho,Birk City,area.1880 census for that area has Dewitt C. Yates age 42 with a son Clint age 20.The wife/ mother is probably the 2nd wife and therefore a stepmother.Owensboro Area Obituaries (DCPL) has the obituary for D.C. Yates,age 64 died Jan 24 1908.Elmwood Cemetery.In the comment section ,it says he was a Civil War soldier and he married Mrs. l.J. Rouse on Aug.19 1878. The woman I believe is Louisa Jane Cossler Rouse widow of Rueben Rouse.Rueben Rouse is in the 1870 census.But I could not find Dewitt C.Yates (the father) in 1870 census anywhere.I did some Google searching and found information that linked a Dewitt C Yates born 1840 to Hardin Co Ky. Son of James and Charity Johnson or son of William and Nancy.with a wife, Susan LeGrand .1860 Hardin Co Ky does have Dewitt C. Yates age 20 and Susan age 20 living next door or next entry in census to Dewitt Yates age 24,unmarried.On the same page are many other Yates,including the men identified as the father.I also found family website that says the mother of Louisa Jane Cossler was Martha Childress or Catherine Riddle.I could not find much about Susan LeGrand.One website said Dewitt C Yates( the father) was in Spencer Co. Ind. when he married Louisa Jane.That may very be true But,...Rockport Spencer Co Ind.was a popular location to get married.It was just across the river and did not have a 3 day waiting period.1880 census for Dewitt said his father born in Va. And his mother ..maybe.N.C.But in 1990 census the parents were listed as Ky.1990 census had the name Dewey C Clint.One web site mentioned that as his nickname.Before I sign off I only want to say....It is extremely easy for other people assumptions to get passed along as facts.I do not want to that . A library card for Daviess County Public Library you can access Hertiage Quest which has original census pages.You can also access Area Obits starting 1842 online.I have 3 questions for you.1. Why did they move to Okalhoma.? 2 Did Catherine have a daughter named Mary Brown as listed in her obit? 3 Did Catherine have a blind daughter that returned to Daviess Co Ky.?4 what happened to Pearl born about 1905? There is a Cossler post on this forum and a Cossler website.Rootsweb has got some families you can research and or go to family web sites you can find with Google.I even found a picture of Omar Yates with the names Crask LeGrand under the photo.and oh the obit for Dewitt C(the father) said cause of death was heart trouble.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GibsonOK 24 Oct 2013 6:09PM GMT 
kumeyaayindia... 24 Oct 2013 7:08PM GMT 
debre fenwick 19 Feb 2014 9:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic