Search for content in message boards

Parents of Louis CARROLL who md. Vera BROOKS, 1885-1941?

Replies: 10

Re: Parents of Louis CARROLL who md. Vera BROOKS, 1885-1941?

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
I AM A GRANDDAUGHTER OF LOUIS' SISTER LAURA JANE, "JANIE" WHO MARRIED EDGAR FOSSET MCDOWELL. I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE FAMILY AND IT HAS LOUIS IN IT. LOUIS' PARENTS WERE ELIJAH E. AND MARY ANGELINE "HOGAN", CARROLL. MARY DIED GIVING BIRTH IN 1881 AND ELIJAH MARRIED HER SISTER SARAH ELIZABETH "LIZZIE" HOGAN. LIZZIE IS MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER. LOUIS MARRIED THREE TIMES THAT WE KNOW OF, FOR SURE. FIRST, VERA BROOKS, SECOND, ROSE E. KEITH (THREE KIDS WITH HER), THIRD, SARAH ELIZABETH PRIDDY.

I ALSO FOUND THIS:
Lewis Carroll's parents were Elijah E. Carroll and Mary Angeline Hogan b. 1856 d. 1881 in Edmonson County Kentucky. Elijah then married her sister Sarah Elizabeth Hogan, b. Sept 11, 1858, Kentucky, d. May 9, 1936, Longfall Creek, Edmonson, KY. Elijah E. Carroll was born at Lincamp Creek (AKA Lynn Camp Creek in older references: Larue County was established in 1843). The Hogan sisters were the daughters of George Washington Hogan, b. Dec 10, 1824, Davidson County, TN, d. Dec 15, 1893, Edmonson County, KY and Louisa Binkley b. )ct 12, 1823, Davidson County, TN, d. Dec 14, 1893, Edmonson County, KY. G.W. and Louisa were married March 4, 1844, Davidson County, TN. Louisa's parents were George Binkley and Fannie Dullen.

Louis and Lewis, the name was spelled both ways or sometimes misspelled on the census by the Census taker. Have the same problem i my family, the Carroll's are part of my family as well. I descend from John Wilson Carroll and Frances Franklin by way of my father and mother who were fourth cousins.

Lewis Carroll is listed in the 1930 Edmonson County Census, his wife is listed as Vera A. Carroll. Their children are listed as Ethel (b. abt 1905), Nathan (b. abt 1913), Nolan (b. 1914) Mary (b. 1914), Stella (b. abt 1918) and Walter (b. 1920). In 1930 they were living in Bee Spring, Kentucky. I also show that he was married three times, Vera A. Brooks, Sarah Priddy, and Rose Keith, I do not have any dates or locations of marriages. All children were born in Edmonson County.

Lewis Carroll was named in honor of his Uncle Lewis Miles Carroll who died of Cholera while a prisoner of war at the Confederate Prison Camp at Danville, Virginia.

I ALSO FOUND:
Lewis Miles who served in the 4th Kentucky Calvary's Company F was captured and taken prisioner on 21 Sept 1863 at Crawfish Springs Georgia during the Battle of Chickamauga. Lewis died not long afterwards in the notorious Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia.
He was buried in Danville, Virginia.
I HOPE THIS INFO IS HELPFUL. SINCERELY, GLORIA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GLORIADENISEM... 16 Sep 2013 4:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions