Search for content in message boards

SLOAS, David and John...HELP!

Replies: 24

SLOAS, David and John...HELP!

Martie (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sloas, Sluss, Adkins, Eldridge, Maxie, Maxey
We are researching an unusual surname and it is both SLOAS and SLUSS. While doing some research on the Internet I came across this and was so very surprised to find the actual surname spelled as SLOAS dated 1751, in Scotland! Below I am pasting the web site addy and the contents concerning David and John SLOAS.

--------------------------------------------
SLOAS, David apprentice printer Edinburgh
Edinburgh 1751 Son to John Sloas, gauger, apprenticed to Messrs Gavin Hamilton, John Balfour and Patrick Neill printers in company, 23 February 1751.
EdinPren website: http://www.nls.ac.uk/catalogues/sbti/SBTI_S.htm

---------------------------------------------

So, what I am asking is that everyone related to VA, KY, OH, SLOAS's to PLEASE HELP locate data concerning this David and his father John. We all know the SLOAS/SLUSS'S came from Germany! I have no doubt about that. Let me speculate a little here and see what you think, ok? Suppose this David and John Sloas came from Germany to Scotland, stayed awhile to earn passage, then came on to America in the 1760's or 1770's. Or, because of their surname being spelled exactly SLOAS they came from Germany to America and then decided to move to Scotland for some reason, maybe a marriage and her family there??? So, how about it, pitch in and help find the answer to this piece of our puzzle...I think it is a part of our puzzle that needs investigating. Please help out and post all information concerning it in genforum surname SLOAS and in Morgan and Elliott County, KY Query pages so that everyone can lend a hand and share information concerning this. I have also posted it in Countries, Scotland. You can email me directly, if you want. I too, will post anything I find concerning this…in all locations. If you already have the answer to this, then please share and email me. Thanks Cousins! Sure would like to fit our puzzle together in our lifetime! :-) Martie

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Martie 29 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Martie 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Audra Maxie 3 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Martie 4 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Audra Maxie 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Martie 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Audra Maxie 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Martie 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
MELISSA HARRISON 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Martie 16 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
per page