Search for content in message boards

Colonel John Fleming, died ~1794, information requested

Replies: 6

Colonel John Fleming, died ~1794, information requested

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
I'm relatively recently into this line of study. My grandmother was Hazel Lucille Fleming, Daughter of Sylvanus Barton Fleming, who was son of Barton Stone Fleming, who was son of Levi Fleming, who was son of John Fleming who I believe, was born in North Carolina. I have a geneaological record that was in my Grandmother's lock box at her death, which was done sometime in the first half of the 20th century, which states this John Fleming was the son of Colonel John Fleming who founded Fleming County Kentucky. Can anyone verify this? I have as of yet (although I am just starting this) found no evidence here. I saw in the compiled geneaology on FamilySearch.org (Mormon's site) some of this information, with some pieces missing, and some incorrect (as they list a Peter Fleming born 1719 as the only son of this Colonel John Fleming which couldn't be as the dates are too far off/don't match up? It then goes on to say this Peter had a son Peter as well, who was Father to the John Fleming of North Carolina, whom I just mentioned. This material was submitted by a Pamela Slinker who I have been unable to find current listings for to contact in inquiry? Are you out there Pamela, to clarify?
This document I have states that the statements in it were taken from the Burton Historical Library in Detroit, the Clements Library in Ann Arbor, the family records of a Columbus F. Fleming, his sister Adeline Fleming Hamer, a Nancy Jane Fleming Van Ordstrand, among other "descendants of Col. John Fleming, for whom Flemingsburg and Fleming County, Kentucky, were named." Later it states additional information was taken from the Lawson Geneaological Record out of Menasha WI in 1903, and from Fleming Published History in the Congressional Library in Washington.
I am more than happy to share this with anyone who can help me fill this information in. My family records on this side are very clear through Levi Fleming, and sketchy above this (in evidence, other than this document which appears to have been done in the 1940's? It is unsigned, but was done by a son of Columbus F. Fleming.

Thank you to anyone who can assist me.

Matt Erb.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mderba1a 29 Oct 2001 1:14AM GMT 
mfleming53 5 May 2002 3:12AM GMT 
Matt Erb 5 May 2002 3:12PM GMT 
jdcrump 6 May 2002 10:07AM GMT 
Matt Erb 9 May 2002 1:25PM GMT 
Carolyn Ellertson 11 Jun 2003 1:05AM GMT 
Carolyn Ellertson 11 Jun 2003 1:07AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions