Search for content in message boards

You have to love puzzles to help me with this one

Replies: 2

You have to love puzzles to help me with this one

Posted: 25 Apr 2014 8:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Merriweather, Milner
Hello,
There is an old story that has been told for generations now, well needless to say I am stuck right there in my genealogy research. Here's the story:

"Once long ago, there was an African American family of Milner's living in Hickman, Kentucky. That family consisted of Grandpa Finas, his siblings and parents. Well one day a slaveowner came and bought SOME of the family from that home. So some became Merriweather's, and some remained Milner's."

I have done a complete search all the way back to my great great Grandfather Finas Merriweather, then I'm stuck. Finas Merriweather was born about 1848 in Kentucky and died in 1920 in Hickman, Kentucky. Some elder relatives recall their parents calling older relatives cousin so-in-so. So so far, I have pieced one part of that family together which I am certain of. He had a brother named Reuben Merriweather who was born about 1849 in Kentucky. I know that there was a Harvey Merriweather who died at 90 years old in 1986 in Mounds, Pulaski, Illinois related to the family but I am uncertain how. He had a brother (I believe) named Fletcher who died in Memphis, Tennessee at 101 years old in 2005, but I have yet to piece the remainder of this household together to find the parents of Finas. I also cannot seem to find Finas or anyone in the 1870 census.

Please help!!!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
krissy6161 25 Apr 2014 2:31PM GMT 
thomasker2 30 Apr 2014 2:47PM GMT 
krissy6161 30 Apr 2014 4:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic