Search for content in message boards

Abel White family

Replies: 7

Abel White family

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 4:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2005 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: White Searl
[Surnames: WHITE, BASSETT, COMFORT, FUQUA, OSBORN, CRAYCRAFT, HYDE, CHAMBERLIN, NOEL, WILHELM, COOPER, SPRINKLE]

Hello all,

I thought I'd pass along an excerpt of a biographical passage from pp 296-297 "History of Greenup County, Kentucky" (Nina Biggs and Mabel Macay, Evansville, IN 1951) transcribed at the Scioto County Public Library, Portsmouth, OH in 2002. While the main subject of the passage is the White family of Greenup County, KY and Scioto County, OH, several additional Greenup County families are mentioned.

As a disclaimer, I will say I am aware that there is dispute on whether or not Greenup County's Abel White was truly connected to the Mayflower Whites, and also whether Sarah Comfort (J. Bradley Arthaud states his marriage was to Sarah "Brock" of Woodstock, CT) was his wife as opposed to Rebecca Solace. It is possible he had two marriages. Other researchers feel there are two Abel Whites- I have articles that discuss that topic. We do know however Abel White's children are as they are listed here and in his Greenup County probate.

For those wanting more information regarding Arthaud's reserach, look for his two articles: "Abel White of Kentucky: Unrecorded Son of Nicholas and Sarah (King) While of Norton, Massachussetts?" in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (Vol 148, Whole No 591, July 1994, pp. 259-264); and "Abel White (Ca. 1758-1823) From New Hampshire to Kentucky", in The American Genealogist (Vol. 48, No. 4, Whole No. 192, October 1972, pp. 234-237). I have both of these posted for now on my webpage at www.ciurlionis.net/varis

I hope this is helpful

--Vic Varis
vicvaris@earthlink.net

-------

WHITE
The greater part of this history of the White family is taken from Evans' History of Scioto County, Ohio. Not many families can trace their ancestry, as do the Whites, back to the landing of the "Mayflower" in 1620 in the harbor off the coast of Massachusetts.

William White and his wife, Susanna Fuller White, came to America on the "Mayflower." They had two sons, Resolved and Peregrine. Peregrine White was born on the "Mayflower" December 10, 1620. He married Sarah Bassett, daughter William Bassett, who came to Plymouth on the "Fortune" November 10, 1621. Their children were Daniel, Jonathan, Sarah, and Mercy. Daniel (1649) married Hana Hunt at Duxbury, Massachusetts, August 19, 1674.

Children of Daniel and Hana Hunt White were John (1675), Joseph (1678), Thomas (1680), Cornelius (1682), and Eleazar (1686). Eleazar married Mary Doggett and they had nine children. Nehemiah was the eldest and his children were Philip (1732), Nicholas (1734), and Seth (1737). Seth was born at Woodstock, Connecticut, moved to New Hampshire, and from there to Kentucky in 1779.

The children of Seth were Seth Jr., (1759) and Abel. Abel came with his father, Seth Sr., down the Ohio River on a raft with their household goods and families, and landed about two miles below Greenupsburg. Abel had been a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was discharged in 1777. He married Sarah Comfort and they had ten children. His will is on record in the clerk's office at Greenup and is dated October 3, 1823. It names the following children: Seth, Susannah, Abel Jr., Sabina, Rebecca, Polly, Daniel, Anna, John, Asie, Jeremiah, Joel, and Sally. Witnesses were John Fuqua, James Osborn, John Craycraft, and James L. Hyde. Daniel White was named executor of the will.

Daniel White married Sarah Osborn of Greenup County, September 22, 1814,and they were the parents of eleven children. The third child, Osborn, married Maria Chamberlin and their children were Anson, Abraham, Daniel, and Sarah Cooper. Daniel was born October 4, 1842, on Dogwood Ridge, Scioto County, Ohio. he married (1) Eliza Noel in 1866 and had one son, Frank, a jeweler in Portsmouth for many years, and (2) married Belle Wilhelm and they had one son, Abraham. Frank White married Carrie Sprinkle of Greenup County and they were the parents of a daughter, Pearl, and a son, Leslie, now a resident of Lucasville, Ohio.

[from pp 296-297 "History of Greenup County, Kentucky" (Nina Biggs and Mabel Macay, Evansville, IN, 1951)]
------
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vvaris 5 Oct 2004 10:46PM GMT 
Margaret 6 Oct 2004 7:51PM GMT 
vvaris 6 Oct 2004 10:05PM GMT 
Margaret 7 Oct 2004 12:26AM GMT 
Ann 8 Oct 2004 12:47PM GMT 
balticblond 26 Apr 2013 4:46AM GMT 
laurel19511 25 May 2013 12:02AM GMT 
vicvaris74 14 Feb 2014 11:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions