Search for content in message boards

ROBERDS/ROBIRDS/ROBERTSON/ROBINSON

Replies: 11

Re: GRANDPARENTS

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 12:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
To continue my "old-man memories": Aunt Iva Dean was to get a pix of Grandpa Sam Robertson taken before they left Greenup Co for Lincoln. George A's last wife I believe was a Von Grunigan from Angel Ridge. Sam was the one who married a fine "bluegrass lady" with lots of fine furniture and clothes. He had exaggerated about his fine house (He thought it was fine, though humble by standards even then.) and when they married and brought her goods and dowry and began to plod in a horse drawn wagon, up a muddy lane and she saw his house she wouldn't even let him unload the fine stuff. He went to annul the marriage and didn't even know her last name! I am full of old family stories, trivial at best and garbled, but I do remember lots of Clara's stories!
Sam was I believe in the famous "Orphan Brigade" and was a "seng-digger" of the 5th, formerly the 9th regiment of the 1st KY Brigade CSA. Having listened and farmed with Uncle Herbert and coon hunted with Leroy I was exposed to lots of family lore about the very land upon which I was raised.
Uncle Butler was a gunsmith like I was for many years and I know several stories about him. I talked to men who remembered Harvey Walls and Nathaniel Walls and Bob Walls, etc. and other Union veterans of the "Revolution" as Sam and French called it. My Grandmother Clara described it to me in her memories and I even remember French and Granny Robirds visiting when I was a very small child. I believe she was 102 when she died. Granny Robertson often held my oldest daughter in her lap and talked with me about old times. As a poor farm boy used to following a mule up long rows of tobacco and other crops where my ancestors did I felt very close to these stories. I grew tobacco on one of Butler's house sites and also Nathaniel Walls and Harvey's 2 houses. I helped farm Granny's farm and Herbert's, Paul & Velma's and uncle Marvin Gooch and Aunt Edith's. Being a good friend of Glyn and Juniors and William I got some Robertson stories as well. For example Uncle Burbon supplied a lot of moonshiners with sugar when they couldn't get it otherwise and I remember Uncle Mitchell Robertson well as well as all his children, legitimate and otherwise.
William is still alive as is Uncle Hubert and Aunt Velma.
I remember Johnny well and often saw him when he was in college living with Mike. More soon dear cousin. I look fwd. to sharing and exchanging photos with you. I will tell Mother I heard from you, too. We must work together, in our retirement, to gather this stuff for our kids. We have a family reunion each year, the Thompsons, but often have collateral relatives of all the Walls/Robertson etc. there too. Perhaps you can join us. I plan an excursion to the Foly cave this time and though I don't walk well I look fwd. to sharing family heritage with others. Please email me and open a line of correspondence, dear cousin.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
williamsbenne... 16 Jun 2013 6:27AM GMT 
DayleneRobert... 21 Jul 2013 1:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions