Search for content in message boards

HAGAN, RINEY, THOMAS, GREENWELL, WISEMAN, ALVEY

Replies: 16

HAGAN, RINEY, THOMAS, GREENWELL, WISEMAN, ALVEY

Don Hagan (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 1998 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query

Dear Friends,

I am doing genealogical research of my family HAGAN line in Kentucky. My HAGAN family line was part of the large group of Catholics who emigrated to north central Kentucky in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Specifically, I am interested in learning more about a JOHN HAGAN who lived in Washington, Nelson, and Hardin Counties up to his time of death on August 7, 1838. I want to determine: Where he came from? Who his parents were? Where he and his wife are buried? How many children he had, their names, and when they were born and baptized.

JOHN HAGAN had a close relationship with the Zachariah Riney family. I believe that my JOHN HAGAN is the same JOHN HAGAN that married MARGARET RINEY, daughter of Zachariah Riney, on April 8, 1823 in Nelson Co., KY. Zachariah Riney signed the bond and gave his consent for the marriage. The marriage was performed by Wm F.X. O'Brien, from Minister Return.

I am also interested in learning more about the ZACHARIAH RINEY family. I know that the ZACHARIAH RINEY family was an important Catholic family in Washington, Nelson, and Hardin Counties in the early 1800's. The Riney family came from St. Mary's Co. Maryland with a group of Catholic emigrants about 1785 and settled in the Cartwright's Creek settlement located on a tributary of the Beech Creek of the Rolling Fork River. Recently, I learned that Zach Riney was a member of the Maryland militia in 1794. Nevertheless, court records indicate that the Zachariah Riney was living in Nelson Co. in 1814. His children included Thomas, Sylvester, Susan, Eleanor, John B. and Margaret Riney. Zachariah Riney was a school teacher and Abraham Lincoln was one of his students when he was young and his family was living in Elizabethtown, Hardin Co area. He is buried in the Gethsemani Monastery. I am most interested in learning more about the Zachariah Riney family, and about his and his children's relationship with my JOHN HAGAN. Is there a Zachariah Riney Family Bible available for review?

My JOHN HAGAN and John B. Riney were friends in Nelson Co. and took out a mortgage together in 1825. Sometime between 1827 and 1830, JOHN and MARGARET HAGAN and John B. Riney moved to Hardin Co and to the area now known as Rineyville. Sylvester and John B. Riney were Catholic residents of the area near St. John Catholic Church built on Rude Creek in 1812. I have seen and visited the Zachariah Riney house located in Rineyville.

I believe that my JOHN HAGAN and MARGARET RINEY HAGAN lived in the Elizabethtown area from about 1827 to 1838. They may have been associated with St. John Catholic Church, however, the church records do not show any baptisms, deaths, or burials for them.

JOHN HAGAN had two boys named JOHN RAYMOND born August 1, 1828 and HILLARY MILTON born October 15, 1835. They may have been born in Hardin Co. JOHN also had two daughters named ELIZABETH (born June 12, 1823 and died July 7, 1893) and buried at St. John Catholic Church, and MARTHA J. (born 1831 and died in 1908). They may also have been born in Hardin Co. They may have been baptized at St John. ELIZABETH married Elias Thomas on September 27, 1843, while MARTHA married James William Greenwell on April 4, 1853 in Nelson Co. The marriage record shows Elias Thomas as a Brother-in-Law, thereby, confirming that ELIZABETH and MARTHA were sisters. I also believe that John and Margaret Riney Hagan may have had a third son named THOMAS T., but I have not been able to confirm this. However, his death is listed in the family Bible of John Winchell Hagan of Illinois.

The John Winchell Hagan family Bible indicates that JOHN HAGAN died August 7, 1838. However, I have no information as to when MARGARET died. I do not know where they died or are buried. However, I assume they died in Hardin Co. KY, and thus are buried somewhere in Hardin Co. I also understand that Zachariah Riney owned a 1000 acre farm and that his original house is still standing. Does anyone know if there was a family cemetery on the farm? I am wondering if JOHN HAGAN and MARGARET RINEY HAGAN are buried in a family plot somewhere? Also, because they were Catholics, I wonder if they are buried in a Catholic cemetery and that there might be a record of this.

I have good reason to believe that JOHN HAGAN and MARGARET RINEY HAGAN are buried in Hardin Co. because two of their sons JOHN RAYMOND and HILLARY MILTON became indentured Apprentices to John B. Riney as shown by Hardin Co. court order in 1842. And in 1843, also by Hardin Co. court order, the daughter ELIZABETH, choose Sylvester Riney to be her guardian. Interesting, the Hardin Co. court records of 1842 called JOHN RAYMOND and HILLARY MILTON "orphans and poor boys of the county", while the 1843 records called ELIZABETH an "orphan," thereby, suggesting that they owned no land and had no mother. Since, the children did not pass to the care of the Riney's until 1842-43, MARGARET might have died sometime between 1838 and 1842. After the death of JOHN HAGAN, MARTHA HAGAN was taken in by the Elias Thomas family because the 1850 U.S. census shows her living with the Thomas family. Also, Elias Thomas is indicated as Brother-in-Law on her marriage record.

JOHN RAYMOND HAGAN married ROSELLA WISEMAN, daughter of Christine Wiseman, on October 8, 1849 in Hardin Co. ROSELLA (also called Rose Ann) was born January 2, 1830 in Union Co. KY and christened on March 21, 1830 at St. Vincent Catholic Church in Union Co. Shortly after they married they moved to Missouri. In 1850, JOHN RAYMOND and ROSELLA are found living in Caldwell Co. Missouri with a THOMAS HAGAN aged 18 years. Thomas is listed as having been born in Kentucky, so I believe he might have been a brother to John Raymond and Hillary Milton. However, he also have been a cousin, and thus, the possibly exists of another HAGAN line related to mine. I found HILLARY MILTON still living with the John B. Riney family in Hardin Co. in 1850. I do not know what happened to him after that.

JOHN RAYMOND and ROSELLA moved back to Elizabethtown after 1851. They first bought a house at 206 W. Poplar Street (Town Plot #42) in Elizabethtown which they sold to Judge William D. Vertrees for $550 on 23 Nov 1857. In 1858, JOHN RAYMOND and ROSELLA then bought 120 acers on Shaw's Creek. They sold this land in 1864, and then bought 174 acres of land on Billy's Creek in Hardin Co. There children included John Christian, James Milton, Elizabeth, Frederick Valentine, Margaret Catherine, Mary Alice, Lousesa Ann, and Raymond Thomas. The last boy, RAYMOND THOMAS HAGAN, was my Grandfather. They were members of St. John Catholic Church, and many of the children were baptized at St. John. Sometime in 1875, JOHN RAYMOND and ROSELLA moved to Rich Hill, Missouri. JOHN RAYMOND died January 24, 1893 in Missouri. ROSELLA died August 14, 1895 in Missouri. JOHN RAYMOND and ROSELLA are both buried in a family plot at Friends of Green Lawn Catholic Cemetery in Rich Hill, Bates Co., Missouri.

I would like to make contact with people knowledgeable of the HAGAN, RINEY, WISEMAN, THOMAS, and GREENWELL families. I would be interested in learning of and receiving detailed histories that have been developed for these families. Thank you very much for your time.

RAYMOND DONALD (Don) HAGAN
1056 Honeysuckle Dr.
San Marcos, CA 92069-6913
(619) 744-1939 - home
(619) 524-4516 - work
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Don Hagan 6 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT 
RobertAlvey27 6 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT 
judy 30 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
ASLANJ 30 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
judy 31 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
ASLANJ 31 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
J.Maguire 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
rhonda 26 Feb 2002 5:14PM GMT 
Janet Jenkins 22 May 2005 11:09PM GMT 
Janet Jenkins 22 May 2005 10:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions