Search for content in message boards

Devil Jim Turner

Replies: 13

Devil Jim Turner

Cary Collins (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2004 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Turner, Collins
I live in Washington state and am a great great grandson of Devil Jim Turner. He is bured in the Toledo, Washington, cemetery not far from where my father is buried. My father used to talk about Devil Jim all the time. As you may know, the Turners were from Harlan County, Kentucky, but migrated out to Washington state in about 1890. Devil Jim, if I remember correctly, lived until about 1910. About 15 years ago, I sent away for his military records. He fought in the Civil War, and of course had quite a colorful career. According to my father and what I have read, he burned down the Harlan County Courthouse and was sent to the state penitentiary. Finally, they agree to release him, but only if he left the state. Then he and his family came to Washington. His son, my great grandfather, was Hiram Turner and his daughter, Rosabelle, was my grandmother. Her son, Harold, is my father now deceased. Devil Jim, Hiram, Rosabelle, and my dad are all buried in the Toledo, Washington, cemetery. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any images of Devil Jim. I have a large family photograph taken in about 1910 of all the Turner family, including Hiram and his wife Sarah, at a family picnic. There are about 30 Turners in the photograph: all of Hiram and Sarah's children as well. But Devil Jim is not in the image and I have not seen anything with him in it. Write back and I would love to communicate with any Turners out there in Kentucky. I live in Washington State just outside Seattle.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cary Collins 22 Jun 2004 4:10AM GMT 
Cary Collins 25 Jun 2004 2:48AM GMT 
Stacey Wells 7 Jul 2004 2:40AM GMT 
mylittleencha... 5 Sep 2009 2:37PM GMT 
Marilyn Lyttl... 12 Sep 2009 5:17AM GMT 
Linsing 13 Sep 2009 1:47AM GMT 
Marilyn Lyttl... 13 Sep 2009 1:33PM GMT 
Roxie_Maggard 14 Sep 2009 7:57PM GMT 
Marilyn Lyttl... 13 Sep 2009 1:34PM GMT 
Marilyn Lyttl... 13 Sep 2009 1:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions