Search for content in message boards

Louisville Anzeiger - Longtime German Newspaper

Replies: 15

Re: Louisville Anzeiger - Longtime German Newspaper

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 7:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Long, Anderson
Good morning Joe. Alicia forwarded your obit listing link to me and I was rewarded with a firm death date for a family member. Many thanks to both of you from across the miles for helping me to break through that brick wall of frustration!!
I'd like to toss a question out to you, looking for an opinion. The relative of interest is Joseph W Long. He is noted in your index as having passed away on June 26, 1862, age 41. One line of family lore states that Joseph was a Confederate soldier taken prisoner. He supposedly died while being transferred from one boat to another. (don't ask me what one boat to another means. that's the line written in a family genealogy). I have found no record of Joseph W Long being a soldier in the war. I do know he and his brother ran a steamboat operation in Louisville. ( I personally think he was not enlisted and died while working his buisness). In your experience with compiling this obit list from the Anzeiger, were Civil War deaths noted? Do you think if Jos was really a soldier, there would've been an obit in the smaller local German newspaper as opposed to the larger English language Louisville paper?
thanks for any suggestions and again, thank you for your work on your project. Made my day to have an answer (now I have to get a copy of this obit).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sinderkentuck... 9 Oct 2011 12:27AM GMT 
JBLkoscan1878 27 Oct 2011 4:29PM GMT 
jackkoppel 28 Oct 2011 5:41AM GMT 
oyoungtoo 27 Feb 2012 3:14AM GMT 
JBLkoscan1878 27 Feb 2012 3:50AM GMT 
oyoungtoo 27 Feb 2012 4:18AM GMT 
sinderkentuck... 1 Mar 2012 5:48PM GMT 
Virginia Rein... 5 Nov 2012 8:17PM GMT 
sinderkentuck... 8 Nov 2012 10:28PM GMT 
DonnaCarter39 9 Nov 2012 2:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions