Search for content in message boards

COVERT/COOVERT FAMILY

Replies: 12

Re: COVERT/COOVERT FAMILY

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Covert
I am interested in what you find in Heemstede . A book published by the Interlanken Historical people has a great deal of the Dutch history. They were part of the Dutch Reform Church. Which may be a good place to research in Holland. Like may immigrants they came because they felt persecuted for their religion. I have them all the way back to a Tunis Janszen Covert 1620. The name had various spelling - Coevors, Couvert, Coovert, This was probably from the way it was written or they wanted to spell it the American way. They came from Heemsted in Holland to New Jersey and Senecca Co New York.
My husband is connected the Coverts from Indiana who relocated to Kentucky. I found this Both the Bergen and Covert families were early settlers of Johnson County, Indiana. Isaac Covert, born in New Jersey in 1755, came to Johnson County from Kentucky in 1825, having apparently stopped in New York State on his way west. He bought land in Franklin Township,, then returned to Kentucky to die
the same year. His son, John Covert, born in New York in 1782, moved to Johnson County in 1825. He owned land in Franklin Township, was a founder of the Presbyterian church in Hopewell, and served as one of its elders. His son,
William Covert, continued to farm near Hopewell, and married Margaret Bergen (1815-1885).

Margaret Bergen was the daughter of Peter Bergen (1788-1868), who had come to Johnson County in 1829, was a founder of Hopewell Church, and owned land in Union Township, on which he had a tile kiln. His brother, John Bergen (1795-1842) was a blacksmith; he worked in Pleasureville and Christianburg, just north of Shelbyville in Kentucky, 1824-1828, then moved to Hopewell, Johnson County, Indiana, and worked there after 1830. William and Margaret Covert's son, Peter G. Covert (fl. 1880-1920), lived in Hopewell, ran a general store and undertaking business, and was involved in many local organizations.
I am really interested in why they went to Kentucky. There is some history connecting Shakersmill, where because the Shakers had no children and so it must mean they worked there. I have Daniel born in New Jersey but died in Kentucky.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JudithCovert7... 5 Sep 2013 2:35AM GMT 
JudithCovert7... 5 Sep 2013 2:39AM GMT 
JudithCovert7... 8 Sep 2013 6:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions