Search for content in message boards

Another attempt at a connection with Kentucky Murphys

Replies: 13

Re: Another attempt at a connection with Kentucky Murphys

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy
Discovered this thread while researching Murphys. My wife Linda is a granddaughter of Ben H. Murphy. I've put together family tree information based on family stories and historical records. My best information is that Ben's first wife was Luria E. Skaggs and they had six children: Howard (1909-?), Bill (1910-?), Nellie (1911-1994, Linda's mom), Lizzie (1915-1926), Edgar (1918-1994), and Floyd (1920-1983). I have personally known Nellie, Edgar, and Bill.

What I have learned from my mother in law, Nellie, is that there was some economic trouble when they were kids and that Nellie had to go live with her aunt Flossie (Skaggs) Hedgepeth for a while. Also, Ben left his first wife and eventually married Sue Allen (according to 1940 census). He fathered a whole new family between 1935 and 1939. I know all their names if you're interested. Nellie never spoke that much about the Murphys as these several experiences were quite traumatic for her and affected her greatly. Ben was basically estranged from his first family and had little contact after that. Linda remembers meeting him once during her childhood.

There are basically two problems I need to solve re. this family. 1. 1910 census lists Ben's wife as "Mary E." or "Mary C." but there has never been any mention of a mysterious first wife by any of Linda's family. If such a person existed she would have to be the mother of Howard, Bill, and Nellie and I can assure you that Nellie knew who her mother was: Luria. I think this may be an error by the census worker and that this was actually Luria. If anyone knows different, please let me know as this would be the "scoop of the century" for our family. 2. The foerbears of James Jefferson Murphy. Most trees list his parents as "unknown." His death certificate says the same. One source lists his mother as "Mary Jane Murphy." There is also some interesting information from the 1880 census for Taylor co. that I won't get into here. Suffice it to say that I don't want to launch out into researching Murphy ancestors until I have more definitive information.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on all this. Thanks.

Richard and Linda Dupont, Easley, South Carolina
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DonnieMurphy2... 20 May 2002 4:57AM GMT 
Jayne Dunn 12 Oct 2004 2:04AM GMT 
Tom Wilbur 13 Oct 2004 11:28AM GMT 
Jayne Dunn 13 Oct 2004 5:52PM GMT 
davnlins 13 Mar 2012 11:49PM GMT 
davnlins 7 Nov 2011 2:23AM GMT 
donn1e 17 Dec 2011 8:46PM GMT 
davnlins 13 Mar 2012 11:52PM GMT 
donn1e 17 Dec 2011 8:42PM GMT 
Richard Dupon... 27 Dec 2013 5:52AM GMT