Search for content in message boards

Stewart in Montgomery Co, KY

Replies: 0

Stewart in Montgomery Co, KY

Gregg Kinney (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart, Yocum, Smith, Baugman, Downing, Keeton, Sample
In an effort to find the ancestors of William A. Stewart, who married the widow Eliza B. (Yocum) Smith, I am attempting to identify all of the Stewart families shown in the Stewart Clan Magazine articles on "He Came Over on the Ship Caledonia" and who may have been related to Stewart folk in Montgomery Co, KY (and Fayette, Clark, Estill, etc.)

Do you happen to have anything to clarify the relationship between the Yocum and Stewart families who were living near Mt. Sterling, Montgomery Co, KY around 1800 and then moved to the area near Brazil, Clay Co, IN about 1833?

William A. Stewart (b. ?, d. c. 1842 Clark Co, IL) married the widow Eliza B. (Yocum) Smith, d/o Jacob Yocum and Nancy Keeton, (b. 11 Nov 1804 Montgomery Co, KY, d. 10 Aug 1884 Fulton Co, IL). [William Stewart and Eliza B. Yocum are my ancestors, so I am particularly interested in finding William's ancestors. I already have a fair amount on the Yocum clan.] Several generous people have been able to send me some clues which have led to the compilation of the following information:

Eliza's first husband, George Washington Smith, died of cholera in July 1833, probably near Mt. Sterling, Montgomery Co, KY. Their children were:

William Ashley Smith, (b. 1831-died 1862 Vicksburg, MS, buried Vicksburg, MS);
Benjamin F. Smith, (b. 15 Jan 1833-d. 23 Dec 1912 New Philadelphia, IL)

Apparently shortly after or during the 1833 cholera epidemic in Montgomery Co, KY a bunch of the Yocum & Stewart families moved from Montgomery Co, KY to Clay Co, IN.

Eliza B. (Yocum) Stewart probably married William Stewart sometime before 1839 when their 3 children were born near Brazil, Clay Co, IN:

Samuel A. Stewart, (b. 1 Jun 1839-d. 6 Feb 1910 New Philadelphia, IL);
Jacob Preston Stewart, (b. 3 Jun 1840-d. 15 Jun 1916 Wyaconda, MO);
Nancy Adeline Stewart, (b. 20 Jan 1842-d. 20 Dec 1915 Adair, McDonough Co, IL)-my ancestor!

William & Eliza B. Stewart and the children moved from Clay Co, IN to Clark Co, IL where William A. Stewart died in 1842. The widow and her 5 children moved back to Clay Co, IN. In 1849 she and her 5 children moved to McDonough Co, IL and then in 1853 she married widower Daniel Baughman in 1853 in Fulton Co, IL. She remained in Fulton Co, IL the rest of her life.

William A. Smith may have been married before he married the widow Eliza B. (Yocum) Stewart. The 1910 obituary of Samuel Stewart mentions a half-brother John Q. Stewart who lived in Indianapolis, IN.

I ran across the 1884 Historical and Biographical for Counties of Clay and Owen, Indiana at the Denver Public Library. [They don't have much on Clay Co.] In the book it mentions Francis B. Yocum, b. 6 Dec 1807 Montgomery Co, KY, "the sixth and one living of twelve children of William and Sarah (Stewart) Yocum, the father emigrating to Clay County, Ind., in 1833..."

Sally (or Sarah) (Stewart) Yocum (25 Oct 1778-Oct 1837) is buried at Billtown Cem, Posey Twp, Clay Co, IN. William and Sarah (Stewart) Yocum had a daughter who also married a Stewart, and a son, John Stewart Yocum, who married Elizabeth Stewart.

[The same book also has a biographical sketch on Levi G. S. Stewart, b. 21 Oct 1821 in Orange Co, IN as one of 9 children of John and Sarah (Sample) Stewart. Levi married an Elizabeth Yocum of KY. Samuel M. Stewart, a brother of Levi, is also listed.]

The 1840 census for Clay Co, IN shows that Francis B. Yocum, John S. Yocum (it is difficult to read and might be "Wm"), and a William Stewart were all in Posey Twp, Clay Co, OH. James Stewart, John Stewart, Sarah Stewart, and Charles Stewart were in Lewis Twp, Clay Co, IN.

Do you happen to have anything that might help clarify the relationship between these folks? I suspect that they are all related. Sally (Sarah) Stewart/and or some of these other Stewart folk may be related to my William Stewart. (Hoping!)

Eliza B. (Yocum) Smith Stewart Baughman's father, Jacob Yocum, d. 1833 in Montgomery Co, KY from cholera. [H.C. Brown's book on the Yocum families says he died in Clay Co, IN in 1847.]

Eliza B.'s mother, Nancy (Keeton) Yocum, died in 1857 in IL (probably McDonough Co or Fulton Co, IL).

Jacob Yocum's father, John Yocum, died in 4 Sep 1839 in Clay Co, IN.

Any help locating the parents/family of William A. Stewart would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking for the place/date of the marriage of William A. Stewart and Eliza B. (Yocum) Smith.

Also, who were the ancestors/parents of Sally (Sarah) Stewart who married Francis B. Yocum?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions