Search for content in message boards

Lewis Bridwell Stafford, VA? > Nelson, KY > Bullitt, KY

Replies: 1

Lewis Bridwell Stafford, VA? > Nelson, KY > Bullitt, KY

Posted: 26 May 2014 9:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to locate my Bridwell/Bridvill ancestors and I think they may be from Stafford Co, VA. My 3rd great grandmother was named Caroline Bridvill/Bridwell. She was born in VA 4 Aug 1815. She married Jacob W Alspach in Bloom Twp, Fairfield Co., OH 3 Nov 1835. The OH marriage records gives her maiden name as Bridvill. The community in which she was married was very German and the record keeper may have just spelt it the way they were used to. Jacob and Caroline named one of their sons Lewis B Alspach. I believe the "B" stood for Bridwell because their oldest son Reuben, the only child of nine to live to maturity and have offspring, inherited from his father and Lewis and definitely named one of his sons Lewis Bridwell Alspach, per christening records.

I found a Lewis Bridwell/Bredwell in Nelson County, KY in 1820 with the following females: 2 under 10 ; 2 10-15; 2 16-25; 1 over 45. the two under 10 are the right age to be Caroline. I found him still in Nelson Co., KY in 1830 with two females, one 10-14, the right age to be Caroline, and one 15-19.

I found marriage bond records for three of Lewis' daughters. The first is in Spencer County in 1827 for a Lewis Bridwell's daughter Elizabeth marrying Grayson William All. The other two daughters of a Lewis Bridwell married in Nelson County on the same day 29 Oct 1831: Sophia married Nathaniel Bennett Connell and Nancy married Ransom Barbee. There were enough female in Lewis' 1820 census for Caroline to be his daughter. Unfortunately, there were only two unmarried daughters left in his household in 1830.

Lewis appears to have moved to Bullitt County by 1840 and one of his children with family, is living with him. Not sure which child it is. The child could be an older son or daughter, or at a stretch, Elizabeth who was married in 1827 and whose husband Grayson W All is missing from the 1840 census... reappearing in 1850 in Vigo, IN, with another wife and Nancy Barbee is also in Vigo in 1840. Sophia and her husband went to Louisville.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide on how to explore this Nelson County family!

Researching:
PARKISON, HEDGES, DOWNEY
SAWYER, VIETS, QUELCH
ALSPACH, BRIDWELL/BRIDVILL
BRUMBAUGH, RODGERS, PETERS
ROBSON, ELLS, MASSEY, KEMP, SPRY
CHACE, CHAMPLIN, CARPENTER, BULLOCK
NORTHROP/NORTHRUP/NORTHUP
GRAY, KELTY, CONNER
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ivakota 26 May 2014 3:35PM GMT 
judyartley53 17 Jul 2014 5:32PM GMT