Search for content in message boards

Jesse Bryant & Samuel Langdon 1st of Lincoln Co., KY

Replies: 6

Jesse Bryant & Samuel Langdon 1st of Lincoln Co., KY

Jim W. Drew-Whitaker (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2001 11:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bryanr, Bryan, Langdon, Grider, Dysart, Carson, Boone, Bethucum, Bethruan, Bethuran,Lacewell, Laswell, Kirtley
Recently, while researching my Baker ancestors, I ran across some information on our suspected ancestor, Jesse Bryant, in Lincoln Co., KY (1804) and now I want to share it with you.

Actually, I'm hoping that you are way ahead of me and can tell me that you've found our Bryant ancestors back to 1700.

First off, maybe, I was wrong for assuming that our supsected Jesse left home after, and not before, he married our, Lyda Langdon. He could've been out on his on or just visiting family and friends in Montgomery Co., Va where he married Lyda Langdon

There are 3 John Bryants, of Lincoln/Fayette Co ., could possibly be his father. They were all in said counties in 1780s.

What you probably already know:

Lincoln Co., (Virginia) was named after General Benjamin Lincoln. Along with Fayette & Jefferson Cos. it became Kentucky Co., VA, on 11 Nov. 1780.

Parent Counties of Rockcastle:

Lincoln Co, VA /KY (1780-1792)
Madison Co., VA/KY (7th Co.; 1786-1792 from parent Lincoln County)
Pulaski Co., KY (34th Co.; 1799 from parent Green & Lincoln Counties)
Knox Co., KY (42nd Co,; 1800 from parent Lincoln Co.)

Rockcastle Co. was named after the Rockcastle River and became the 52nd (child) County of Kentucky on May 1, 1810.

From Lincoln Co., Kentucky Records - Volume III

January 9, 1804

Book page 315

Record page 146, Jesse Bryant claims 400 acres of vacant land, agreeably to the act of the General Assembly, and satisfactory proof being made that he has actually settled and improved the said land, a certificate is granted him for the 400 acres bounded by Stephen Langford on the west, the lands of (blank) North on the South, the (blank) Taylor on the North, on the waters of the Stone fork of Rockacastle.

jwdw note: James Dysart & Stephen Langford were overseers of an area around Skaggs Creek.

p. 147, Samuel Langdon claims 235 acres of vacant land, agreeably to the act of the General Assembly, and satisfactory proof being made that he has actually settled and improved the said land, a certificate is granted him for the 235 acres adjoining Samuel Ayre's survey of 683 3/4 acres, in line of William Carson, near a branch on the west side of Skaggs Creek.

From the Grider Family book, compiled by Roger Grider, I found that his research on his ancestor John Bryant led him to 3 John Bryants who were all born about the same time c.1754/60.

One John Bryan(t), Roger linked to Morgan Bryan of Bryan Station, which had been established in 1779 as one of the first colonial settlements in the Blue grass region of Kentucky Co., VA. Bryan Station became part of Fayette Co., VA in 1780, and tax records of 1787 - 1803 provide ingight in to the lives of two Fayette Co. Bryants (John & *Morgan) who owned land to the south __ in the Green River. jwdw note: *Is there any wonder why people got confused about the name of Bryan/Bryant Station? This Station in Fayette Co., VA (1779/80) was named after the Bryans, William, Joseph, James, Morgan Rebecca Bryan Boone's (w/o Daniel) uncles.

John Bryant, who Roger Grider refers to, first owned up to 200 acres on the Casey Creek Tributary of green River, and 300 acres on the Sulphur Creek branch of Russell Creek __ also of Green River. Adair Couty evolved from Green County in 1802, and early Adair County tax records also cite this John Bryant of Green River fame. Fayette Co., KY tax rolls of 1795-1797 indicate Morgan Bryan (jwdw note: Roger says Morgan Bryant, but I strongly suspect he's wrong (my Whitakers were with the Bryans in Fayette Co.) indicate that Morgan Bryan also owned land in Green County, including 300 acres pn Russell Creek __ on which stream, Roger says 'our own John Bryant, Sr. settle before 1800'.

I suspect this John Bryant could be a kinsman but I don't suspect he was as closely linked to Jesse as the other two John Bryants of Lincoln Co.... All three were born probably abt. the time I'd say Jesse's father was born. I'm also curious about William Bryant in Lincoln Co. more later.... (written 11/5/1.... 11/56/1, I've changed my mind... see new info below.

From Lincoln Co., Records:

Consent of Joseph Langdon for Polly Langdon to marry Issac Bethucum. January 14, 1803. Witnessed by Jesse Bryan (Bryant).

Isaac Bethruan, Elijah Kirtley & Joseph Lacewell (Laswell?), each, 25 pence for one days attendance (June 28, 1808) as witnesses on behalf of Commonwealth.

Sept. 14, 1807
p. 410, Joseph Lacewell, a Constable, resigns his office. Whereupon Elijah Kirtley is appointed Constable in the same precinct and he took the oaths of office. (Dysart/Kirtley Cemetery on Skagg's Creek).

Dan, I have some great history on James Dysart if you are interested.

There was a Benjamin Bethuram who'd had 25 acres on Skagg's Creek.

Just found this, in Lincoln Co. Records:

February 15, 1803

p.74, Ordered that the part of the county not heretofore laid off in Processioners Districts be laid off, as follow.
District No. 7, to be composed of such part of the county aforesaid as lies east and south of Districts No. 4 & 6 as far westwardly as the head of Green River, and from the head of green River with the road leading to Stoner's ferry, to the Pulaski County line.
District No. 8, to be bounded on the east by the road leading from the head of Green River to Stoner's ferry, the Pulaski County line on the south, the line of Adair County on the west, and Green River on the north.
James Dysart, Samuel Dysart and Benjamin Bethuran are appointed Commissioners in District No. 7. (see my James Dysart posting)

Green River, Adair Co. takes us back to the John Bryant whose info I transcribed from Roger Grider's family book yesterday morning:

John Bryant owned up to 200 acres on the Casey Creek Tributary of Green River, and 300 acres on the Sulphur Creek branch of Russell Creek __ also of Green River. Adair Couty evolved from Green County in 1802, and early Adair County tax records also cite this John Bryant of Green River fame.

jwdw note: I suspect there were two John Bryants (not three) in Lincoln Co. Maybe, the one above was a close kinsman of Jesse.

Dan. please let me know what you think. Thanks. Best regards, Jim

P.S. I'll transcribe Roger Grider's info about the two other John Bryants of Lincoln Co. for you soon. But maybe, you don't need it?

The following Langdon marriages are shown in Montgomery County VA
records: ( Kegley, Mary B., EARLY ADVENTURERS ON THE WESTERN WATERS, VOL
II (Orange, VA Green Publishers, Inc.)1982....)
7 Jan 1791
John Thompson & EASTER LANGDON, sur. David Stephens
17 Oct 1791
Jesey Bryant & LIDA LANGDON, sur.Ezekiel Butcher; consent of father
JOSEPH LANGDON.
16 Jan 1794
Meridy (Meredith) Thompson & ELIZABETH LANGDON, daughter of SAMUEL
LANGDON, sur. George Thompson.
22 Sept. 1795
Archibald Thompson & NANCY LANGDON, daughter of SAMUEL LANGDON,sur.
Samuel Langdon. Archibald, son of George Thompson
31 Aug. 1797
JAMES LEWIS & LEVINA LANGDON sur. James Bowcher: consent of father
JOSEPH LANGDON for daughter LOVINEY.
6 Feb. 1799
SAMUEL LANGDON & ANNE CLIFTON. Surety Richard Clifton.
20 Feb. 1799
HENRY LANGDON &SUSANA CLIFTON; consent of father, JOSEPH LANGDON.
2 Aug. 1815
SAMUEL LANGDON & ZILLA BOOTH, sur. Isaac Booth.

jwdw note: Who was the Samuel Langdon with Jesse Bryant in Lincoln Co.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jim W. Drew-Whitaker 6 Nov 2001 6:29PM GMT 
Jim W. Drew-Whitaker 6 Nov 2001 6:39PM GMT 
Jim W. Drew-Whitaker 7 Nov 2001 6:54PM GMT 
alf22379 8 Nov 2002 5:29PM GMT 
postalmech80 4 May 2014 5:45PM GMT 
ThelmaGamble7... 2 Dec 2001 2:42PM GMT 
WandaLangdon3... 1 Apr 2003 1:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic