Search for content in message boards

Gilbert Atwood Sr Line in Virginia (Shennadoah County to Princess Anne County, Virginia)

Replies: 0

Gilbert Atwood Sr Line in Virginia (Shennadoah County to Princess Anne County, Virginia)

Posted: 3 Oct 2013 4:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Oct 2013 5:25AM GMT
Greetings to all Atwoods and their families.

Many Atwood clans are not aware there was a branch of the Gilbert Atwood Sr line that moved to the Princess Anne County, Va area from the Shenandoah County, Virginia area when the John R. Randolph clan started moving from the Shennadoah area of Virginia.

I hope the information provided here, will assist others in answering questions relative to the Gilbert Atwood Sr line. Starting with the Atwood Sr, first:

Generation

I. Gilbert Atwood...............................................b. 1651............d. Bef 27 Apr 1715
Jane Lancelot................................................b. Abt 1652......d.

2. Gilbert Atwood...............................................b. 1677............d. 1745

3. John Randolph Atwood...................................b. 1702............d. 1750
Martha..........................................................b. d.

4. Gilbert Atwood III............................................b. 1730.............d. 12 Oct 1818

5. William Lovett Atwood, Sr............................... b. 1799.............d.

6. William Walter Atwood Sr................................ b. 07 Aug 1847... d. 17 Oct 1908
Sarah Ann Land...............................................b. 29 Jan 1848.....d.

7. Henry Clay Atwood...........................................b. 02 Nov 1873.....d. 15 Jul 1943
Ada Williams...................................................b. 03 Mar 1878....d. 12 Nov 1902
Margaret Capps...............................................b. May 1888...d. 17 Jul 1935

8. John Elderidge Atwood, Sr.................................b. 02 Feb 1924....d. 15 May 2011
Joye Munden Atwood........................................b. 11 Dec 1927 d. 02 Dec 2003

9. Bonnie Joye Atwood
Raymond L. Britt

Paula Munden Atwood
William Allen Grimstead

Ediebeth Atwood

John Elderidge Atwood, Jr
i. Donna Cason
ii. Jeanne ?

It should be noted that William Walter Atwood, Sr. was the Atwood that moved from the Shenandoah County, Virginia area to Princess Anne County, Virginia, as this was the area that his wife, Sarah Ann Land was born in 1848, and was a well established area for the Land families of Princess Anne County, Virginia.

The majority of the William Walter Atwood line, are buried at the Charity Neck United Methodist Church Cemetery, just east of Pungo Bourough. Another large grave site for the Atwood clan is the Cemetery going to Sandbridge Beach which use to be Princess Anne County, but now is Virginia Beach, Virginia. Princess Anne County is now extant. Many of the Atwoods from the Gilbert Atwood line within now Virginia Beach, Virginia can be found on findagrave.com. Most of the Atwoods in Princess Anne County and Virginia Beach, Virginia can also be traced through RootsWeb.com

Additionally some Atwood researchers have mixed up William Lovell Atwood with William Lovett Atwood. There is a William Lovell Atwood traced back to the Sanderstead, Manor, Surry, England area, which I do have proof that this Gilbert Atwood Line is also linked back to Sanderstead Manor, Surry, England as well, and this may have caused some researchers problems. I have just not placed all the cards in their proper order, as yet, from Gilbert Atwood to the Sanderstead Manor, Surry, England.

If anyone can assist me to fill in some blanks above, that information will be appreciated, too.
And again, I hope this is helpful to all, especially to those Atwoods that have long scratched their heads making the Princess Anne Atwood connection to the Gilbert Atwood lines. In all, there are probably over 100 individuals that were born, raised, worked, and died within what use to be called Princess Anne County, Virginia.

Thank you,

Sgt Raymond L. Britt, USMC
(OAMAAM)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions