Search for content in message boards

BERRY BEAUCHAMP DORA DORE SIMS

Replies: 13

Re: BERRY BEAUCHAMP DORA DORE SIMS

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 10:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have the following info to offer up for evaluation regarding Day Willin's wife Nancy. Based on my research findings I think Nancy's surname was Morris rather than Beauchamp. That assertion may be contrary to every family tree currently covering Day and Nancy Willin. In my inspection of public family trees covering Day and Nancy Willin there seems to be no evidence that Nancy’s surname was Beauchamp other than the fact that a Levi Beauchamp signed his name on the marriage bond as a suretie.

From my reading of F. Edward Wright books I understand that the father of the bride would not necessarily sign a marriage bond. Often suretie signatures were that of the groom himself and some other man who personally knew both the bride and groom and could verify that no legal or financial debt problem existed that should prevent the marriage. I think maybe applicable family tree owners assumed that because a Levi Beauchamp signed the marriage bond as a suretie then he must have been Nancy’s father especially since there was one Nancy Beauchamp in area around that time. That Nancy Beauchamp’s father was John. Also that Nancy Beauchamp was probably still unmarried in 1796 because her name appears in a Kent County probate record in that year.

Here is my evidence that I found in some Kent County Delaware genealogy books that I purchased. The source citations below indicate that the Nancy who married Day Willin was a daughter of William Morris.

1) Kent County Guardian Accounts McBride to Savin, 1739-1856, Author: Mary Marshal Brewer, published 2004 Colonial Roots, Lewes Delaware.
citation: pages 68-69
12 May 1794. The petition of John Morris eldest son of William Morris decd sheweth that the said William Morris was seized in a 192 a. tr of land in Murderkill Hundred adj Robert Register, William Dunning & William Hatfield, and being so seized died intestate leaving 10 children, viz, John Morris, Sarah Woodley w/o William Woodley, Alice Register w/o Robert Register, Joseph Morris, Nancy Willin w/o Day Willin, William and Absalom Morris, Leah Hastings w/o John Hastings, Betsey North w/o George North & Nelley Trice w/o Arthur Trice. ...

2) Kent County Delaware Marriage References and Family Relationships 1680-1800, Author: F. Edward Wright, published 2012 Colonial Roots, Lewes Delaware.
citation: page 373.
Willin, Day and Nanny Benney, dau. of William Morris. Bond dated 14 Jul 1790. Sureties: Day Willin and Levi Beauchamp.
My comments of the above citation:
a. The marriage bond document can be referenced by searching Ancestry.com marriage records for Day Willin, 14 July 1790.
b. Nanny Benney was a transcription error. It should read Nancy Berry. Nancy was first married to John Berry.
c. The marriage bond also has the signature of Isaac Register who was the brother of Robert Register who married Nancy's sister Alice Morris. The Register family farm land was adjacent to the William Morris family farm in Murderkill Hundred, Kent County Delaware.

3) Calendar of Kent County, Delaware Probate Records 1680-1800, Author: Leon deValinger, Jr., Heritage Books, 2008. Westminster, Maryland.
Citation: page 512
Beauchamp, Nancy. Admin. of, to John Buck. Sept. 13 1796. Reg. of Wills, Liber N, folio 151.
My comments of the above citation:
a. Nancy still had her Beauchamp surname in 1796 so she could not have married Day Willin in 1790.

4) Might this explain why one of Nancy’s sons with first husband John Berry was named Morris Berry.

Scott Morris
of The Morris Family Tree
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ScottM_CA 9 Oct 2013 4:48AM GMT 
charles a beauchamp 24 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
karen harris 21 Feb 2006 4:48AM GMT 
karen harris 21 Feb 2006 3:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic