Search for content in message boards

Nicholas Mercer Jr. Will and Family Bible Transcription

Replies: 2

Nicholas Mercer Jr. Will and Family Bible Transcription

Posted: 5 Jul 2001 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: MERCER
A Copy of the Will of Nicholas Mercer Jr.
In the name of God, Amen. I, Nicholas Mercer Jr. of the County of Wayne and State of Kentucky, being in a low state of health, but of sound mind and being sensible of the frailities of nature and my approaching dissolution, do make this my last will and testament in form and manner following to wit:
I give and resign my soul to God who gave it and my body to the grave in sure and certain hope of a resurrection, and the property both real and personal that Providence has been pleased to bless me with, I distribute in the following manner:
In the first place I will and bequeath my beloved wife, Anna Mercer, all my landed possession which is improved for her to use and benefit during her natural life. Item , one mare called Pigeon, one cow and calf, four head of sheep, one bed and furniture, all the kitchen furnisture during her life. To my son, Nath'l Mercer, I give one feather bed and furniture, and to my son, James Mercer, I give one feather bed and furniture,--one oven to each of the said Nath'l and James Mercer a the death of their mother. To my son, Nicholas M. Mercer, I give one saddle now in his possession and one B____? plow. To my daughter, Ginny, one ten gallon pot. To my son, Richard Mercer, wool sufficient to make a big coat--seven or eight pounds, and at the decease of my wife, Anna, all of the property both real and personal, to be equally divided among the heirs, Nicholas M. Mercer excepted--to be sold and the proceeds equally divided.......reserving as much thereof as to discharge all just records, funeral expenses etc.
I, wither whereof I have subscribed..........(not legible)
dated 1816. Signed Nicholas Mercer

Transcription from Bible:
One Moses Mercer was born and reared in Scotland, his son Nicholas Mercer came to this country, and served inthe Revolutionary War from South Carolina. He served eight years and was a first cousin of Gen Hugh Mercer spoken of in our history. General Hugh's home was at Fredericksburg District. Nicholas Mercer married Ann Gaddy in 1777 and came to Wayne Co. Kentucky in 1803. The court records show that he came into possession of 400 acres of land. He died in 1818 and he and wife are buried at Mill Springs. Their children's names were John, James, Edward, Jennie, Richard, Nathaniel. The son John married Ann Caldwell and their children's names were Washington, Page, Nicholas, John Armstrong, Jane, Polly, Sallie and Margaret.

John C. Mercer as married to Catherine E. Weaver Mar 27, 1839. Children of John C. Mercer and Catherine E. Mercer
Louise E. Mercer born June 6, 1840
Frisbie Mercer Nov. 10 1841
Thomas B. Mercer Feb. 16, 1843
Talitha Mary Mercer Mar 8, 1846
William C. Mercer Aug. 3, 1847
Jennetta C. Mercer June 2 1849
Olliver P. Mercer Dec. 6. 1850
Louvena Margaret Mercer Nov. 3 1852
Eliza Ann Mercer Mar 27 1854
Elizabeth Mercer Nov. 24, 1856
John Allen Mercer May 19, 1857
Robert K. Mercer Feb. 7 1859