Search for content in message boards

Moses N. Solomon, 1860; Political Climate 1850-1860

Replies: 1

Moses N. Solomon, 1860; Political Climate 1850-1860

Posted: 4 Oct 2003 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Oct 2003 8:58PM GMT
My great-grandfather, Moses N. Solomon, lived in Fentress County, TN from probably the late 1820's until the late 1850's, at which time I believe his first wife, Nancy Woolsey Solomon, died in probably 1858. In 1860 he is found on the Wayne County, KY census and in 1860 he was married to Mary (Polly) Hughes, also a former resident of Fentress County. Her first husband was James Hughes. I am told that feelings ran very high in that time period and in that area because of the Civil War and different factions and that people left certain areas out of fear for their life and/or changed their names. My grandfather, Aaron Solomon, knew little about his parents and neither did his brother, J. W. Although these two children, along with their sister, Winnie, a mentally retarded brother, Lewis, and Elvira Hughes, daughter of Polly, are listed on the 1860 census, I don't believe the Solomon children were really living in the household. There were 4 other older Solomon children who apparently stayed behind in Fentress County or perhaps went to other areas. My grandfather said that when he was 3 years old (which would have been 1857 or 1858), his father took him to a country road and told him to walk to his aunt's house. That aunt I believe to be Elizabeth Wood. His brother also told his descendants that he was orphaned when he was 5, which would have been 1858. I would just like comments on what anyone thinks about the attitudes of that day and incidents that might have taken place. I believe perhaps Moses either disappeared or was killed sometime shortly after 1860, as I cannot find him or any mention of him on any further census. Moses was either a Baptist or Old School Presbyterian minister, so his son, J. W., said. I have found evidence that Elvira married in her mother's home in 1868, and Mary's last name at that time was shown to be Hughes. Sorry for the length of this. Moses and whoever his parents were and what happened to him are some of my dead ends. Aaron and J. W. were raised by Bob Wood in Clinton County, KY. I believe Winnie was raised by the Shelton family in Fentress County, as she later married William Shelton.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
okieck 5 Oct 2003 3:46AM GMT 
bzmommy1 12 Oct 2011 3:03AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions