Carl "Little Carl" Shelton returns to Fairfield in 2004

Replies: 2

Carl "Little Carl" Shelton returns to Fairfield in 2004

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Shelton, Moore,
Wayne County Press
Nov 10, 2004
Last Surviving Member of the Shelton Gang; Pays Visit; Reveals Past to His Daughter.
Carl "Little Carl" Shelton, 81, the last surviving member of the Wayne County's notorious Shelton Gang. Tuesday returned to the world he and members of his family fled 50 years ago. Shelton drove back from Jacksonville, Florida area, accounpained by his daughter, Ruth Moore, her husband, James and a granddaughter. One of his first stops was at the Fairfield Police Department, just to let them know if they saw a strange car driving around town. Shelton's daughter, Ruth knew nothing about his family's infamous past until December when Carl says he narrowly survived heart surgery. It was after the surgery, when he was heavily drug induced, that he decided to tell his daughter about his earlier life in Wayne County, Illinois. I didn't know a thing about my Dad's past, "said Mrs Moore. "I'd only thought he had been a carpenter for 40 years. And then all these stories started coming out of him." she told the Press. What brought Carl Shelton back to Wayne County? He decided he wanted to go back. The last time he was back was in 1964 when his mother Lillian Shelton died, " said Mrs Moore. For the record, Carl is the son of Dalta Shelton. He says he was raised by his sister, Dorthy, who later moved to Alaska. The trip also became a necessity with regard to the legal transfer of property. They have made trips to the office of Wayne County Clerk Donna Endsley. The family has been overcome by the attention Carl Shelton has drawn during his return. He is being treated like a aged rock star. Some want their pictures taken with him. They want his autograph. Carl said he had very fond memories of Wayne County and this was his home and where he came back to in 1945 from the Navy. Mrs. Moore said she is hapy her father finally opened up to her. "It's really explained a lot of things when I was growing up. Why they were over-protective."
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jeanvonet 10 Mar 2007 2:49AM GMT 
nellormschaue... 5 Nov 2009 4:18PM GMT 
Ruthie Shelto... 16 Aug 2014 12:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic