Search for content in message boards

James Crook obituary - 1939

Replies: 0

James Crook obituary - 1939

Posted: 12 Sep 2002 9:53AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 14 Nov 2002 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: Crook, Wilson, Blades, Hall
James Crook Killed by Falling Wall at Shamrock Mine; Accident Occurs Early Monday Morning, July 31

James Williard Crook, 15, met instant death at 7:30 a.m. Monday when a brick wall of the old engine room of the Shamrock mine of the West Kentucky Coal Company fell on him. The wall, about 15 feet high, was being demolished under the supervision of the youth's father, Mack Crook. Assisting were James and another brother, William.
Several other boys were nearby cleaning the brick.
According to reports, the brothers were removing brick from the bottom of the wall, preparatory to collapsing the wall. Mr. Crook, on the opposite side of the wall, saw it give and warned his sons. William leaped to safety, but James
evidently slipped and fell into a hole and was covered by the brick. His head was crushed and his right leg and right arm were broken.
The building was the last of several on the mine property, the mine not having been operated for the last nine years. The tipple, store, wash house and other buildings have previously been torn down.
The boy's body was removed to Tapp Funeral Home, where Coroner Guy Riley conducted an inquest, the verdict of the jury being, "Death by falling brick wall at Shamrock mine by accident."
Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.M. Crook; three brothers, Marlin, Bradley and William; and two sisters, Mrs. Dickie Wilson and Miss Louella Crook, all of Providence.
Funeral services were held Tuesday at 3 p.m. at the residence, near the site of the accident, with the Rev. W.M. Frisby of Henderson officiating.
The three brothers with three cousins, Alexander Crook, Coy Blades, and Basil Hall, served as pallbearers.
Burial was in Lakeview cemetery.

The Providence Enterprise
Providence, Kentucky
Thursday, August 3, 1939
used with permission

Find a board about a specific topic