Search for content in message boards

Indentured Owens children - VA

Replies: 34

Re: Indentured Owens children - VA

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 10:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Owens, Whitely, Whiteley, Lea, Lee
I will try to add what I can. But without more documentation or DNA results, there are still areas of great uncertainty.

The Owens & Whitely children were indentured in March of 1810. William Owens filed asking for the return of his 2 children in June of 1812. A summons was issued for "show cause" whether they should be returned "to their father." In July of 1812, Kizer and Smith failed to "show cause" and the indentures were cancelled.

It is very unfortunate the 2 children are not named! I searched the entire reel, several years of microfilm & found no further details about the Owens children. Scans of 3 relevant microfilms are posted here: http://bit.ly/164KPKw Given that Reece was born about 1800 and Rhody (Rhoda) about 1804, they would have been the youngest.

Mona Owens Harrod had come to believe the Owens oral history was missing a generation between John Owens and Reece & that William Owens was the missing link. Keep in mind her hypothesis was developed while assuming Reece and the other 3 children were siblings. Since then, DNA results indicated the 3 Owens males did not share the same paternal DNA. We don't know if they shared maternal DNA. Although we think Rhoda was Reece's sister.

William and Franky married July 13, 1818 in Russell Co VA. They had 5 children born between 1819 & 1826; Jane, Frances /Frankey, William Jr. ...Moved to Clay County KY which is now Perry & Knott counties, where James and Harvey were born.

Mona put forth several potential matches for William Owens but narrowed her most likely choice to: William b. 1763 who married Nancy Anne Owens (b. 1768?).

From 1797-1803 Russell Co. deeds were signed by William and Anne or Aney and one used Nancy in the document but was signed Anne Owens. The 1816 deed for sale of the same (home) property was only in William's name.

7-17-1818, four days after William Owens married Frankey Whitely, they sold property - probably left to Frankey by her father or husband. Mona referenced Virginia Ancestors And Descendants, Lea/Lee Families (Lebanon, Russell County, VA Historical Society and Public Library) which stated Frankey Lea had first married a Whitely, then married William Owens, and moved to Clay Co. KY. Owens begin appearing in Perry County KY in 1823 tax records: William, Harden, Nicholas and Reese in 1824.

William JR. married Frances Caudill. Mona found land records showing William Jr. & Frances had engaged attorneys in Madison Co. Arkansas to handle the sale of their Perry Co KY land. One of the Owens DNA matches for my husband, a descendant of Reece, is in ARK. Coincidence?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kowens155 21 Mar 2013 9:00PM GMT 
suewhiteley17... 23 Mar 2013 10:17AM GMT 
ScottOwens96 23 Mar 2013 12:23PM GMT 
suewhiteley17... 23 Mar 2013 3:20PM GMT 
cao557 28 Apr 2013 4:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic