Search for content in message boards

Indentured Owens children - VA

Replies: 34

Re: Indentured Owens children - VA

Posted: 10 Sep 2008 9:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Owens
For whatever reason, there is an error when I try to see my old post so I only have a general idea of what I posted : (

I am pretty familiar with the Owens DNA site. It has created as more mysteries than it solved. But that's part of the charm of family history : ) More males descendants need to be tested to untangle the history!

I have little doubt that the Owens children who were indentured were all related. DNA results indicate they were not siblings. One possibility is male heirs related through maternal Owens lines (cousins?). For instance "double Owens" - two Owens lines marrying as is recorded more than once - and the descendant being tested has a maternal Owens link to this family. Adoption, formal or informal, or a son carrying his mother's maiden name.

From "implied" marriages, mostly land documents, it appears that William Owens did marry a Lea/Lee - Frances (Lea)Whitely at about the time he told the court he was able to again care for his 2 children. They moved to KY and had children - sometimes attributed to Reese. If we rely on the documentation, it appears unlikely that there was a Jenny/Virginia Lea/Lea marriage to Reese. Reese probably was not married to his first wife & she may well have been an Indian woman.

My husband grew up in Knott Co. and we have both visited the settlement school (Hindman) but we are unaware of a cabin known as the Vince Owens cabin. ?

I would gladly share any info that we have collected.

Chris
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chriso557 11 Jun 2005 1:29AM GMT 
kowens155 10 Sep 2008 6:03PM GMT 
gib51ney 11 Sep 2008 3:01AM GMT 
kowens155 11 Sep 2008 5:52PM GMT 
gib51ney 11 Sep 2008 11:58PM GMT 
suewhiteley17... 27 Apr 2011 7:57AM GMT 
christy577c 4 May 2011 3:46AM GMT 
suewhiteley17... 4 May 2011 4:35AM GMT 
gib51ney 4 May 2011 11:42AM GMT 
gib51ney 5 May 2011 2:40AM GMT