Simpson County came into existence in 1819, named for Capt. John Simpson. You’ll find this county in the southern part of the state and the Big Barren River will be found here. It is bounded on the south by Tennessee; on the north by Warren County; on the west by Logan and on the east by Allen County. The soil here is rich and productive. In 1840 there were 6,537 people who called the county home. Franklin is the county seat and during the early days, the only town. It housed the courthouse and other county buildings, two churches (Union and Christian). Five lawyers practiced here; 8 physicians cared for the physical needs of the people. There were two schools, two taverns, 10 stores and groceries and 18 mechanics – population was 300.
Spencer County was formed 1824, named for one Captain Spear Spencer. It is located in the middle of the state and watered by Salt River. Jefferson and Shelby Counties are on its north, Anderson on its east, Nelson by its south and Bullitt County on its west. There are many fertile valleys here; the land is rolling with rich soil. Corn, wheat, rye, oats, hemp, tobacco and grass were the main products. There were 6,585 people in the county in 1840. Taylorsville is the county seat. It had the usual courthouse and buildings, four churches (Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist and Roman Catholic). There was a seminary, a female school, four lawyers, two physicians, seven merchants, two taverns and 30 mechanic’s shops. It had then a population of 500. Mount Eden was a small village in 1840 about 12 miles from Taylorsville. It has a post office, two doctors, three stores, two taverns and 5 mechanics – population was 150.
Todd County was formed in 1819 and named to honor Col. John Todd. It is also in the southern part of the state with Tennessee lying below its southern boundary; Muhlenberg on its north; Logan County on its east and Christian County on its west. The Elk, West and East Forks of Pond River, Whipporwill, Big and Little and West Clifty creeks flow here. The southern part of the county is level or gently undulating and limestone based. The remainder is rolling and hilly with not quite as productive a soil. Stone coal is found here and the county is home to 300 feet cliffs along Big Clifty Creek. Pilot Rock lies on the dividing line between Christian and Todd. Corn, wheat, oats and tobacco were among the export plus horses, mules, cattle, sheep and hogs. In 1840 there were 9,991 people in Todd County. Towns in this county were Elkton, Haydensville, Trenton, Allensville and Fairview. Elkton is the county seat. It housed the county buildings, three churches (Baptist, Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterian), one male and one female academy, ten lawyers, six physicians, two taverns, six stores, a grocery and 25 mechanic’s shops – population was 750. Haydensville was a tiny village with a tavern, a post office, school, store, and four mechanics’ shop – population 60. Trenton had a free church, post office, a school, one tavern five physicians, four stores and 10 mechanics’ shops – population – 200. Allensville had a Baptist and a Christian Church, school, post office, tavern, two doctors, two stores and -4 mechanics’ shops – population 60. Fairview is said to have a few families.
Trigg County was formed in 1820 and named for Col. Stephen Trigg. It lies in the southwest part of the state and is shaped like a triangle. It is drained by the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers and is bounded on the northwest and north by Caldwell County; on the east by Christian County; on the south by Tennessee and on the west by Caldwell County. Part of the land is broken but not mountainous. The flat lands are good for farming and the hills rich with iron ore and timber. Lead was discovered here and was a principal export along with tobacco, corn, wheat and oats, hogs, cattle, mules and horses. 12,353 people lived in Trigg County in 1840. It had five towns – Cadiz, Canton, Ferry Corner, Rockcastle and Wallonia. Cadiz is the county seat and one would find the usual county buildings along with a Methodist, Baptist and Christian church, two academies, five lawyers, four physicians, nine stores, three groceries, two taverns, 12 mechanical tradesmen and a population of 500. Canton, a small village had a Republican Church, one school, two physicians, four stores, one grocery, two taverns and five or 6 mechanical shops. Ferry Corner had one doctor, one store and several mechanics with a population of 200. Ferry Corner had one physician, one store, several mechanics and 50 people. Rockcastle had a tavern, grocery, post office and several mechanics’ shops – population 50. Walloonia also had a physician, one store, one grocery, a post office and several mechanics – population 75.
Trimble County was formed in 1836 and was named in honor of Robert Trimble. It is in the northern part of the state along the Ohio River. On the west and north is the Ohio River, on the northeast Carroll County is found, on the south is Oldham and Henry Counties. The valleys on the Ohio are fertile and even the uplands are productive. Tobacco and corn along with oats were grown here. In 2850, 4,480 resided in Trimble County. Principal towns here were Bedford, Milton and Palmyra. The county buildings are found in Bedford plus Methodist, Baptist and Christian Churches, two schools, three lawyers, four physicians, six stores and groceries, three taverns and eight mechanics’ shops – population 300. Milton was a small village along the Ohio River and contained two stores and groceries, a post office. Palmyra was also a small village with only one store and a post office.
To be continued.
© Copyright 15 Dec 2011, Sandra K. Gorin