In finishing this series of the Kentucky Land Office, we’ll look at the Military Land Office. On 20 July 1784, the Land Office for the Virginia Military District opened near Louisville. Colonel Richard Clough Anderson was the primary surveyor dealing with veterans who had served in the Virginia Continental Line. William Croghan and General George Rogers were then appointed the principal surveyors for veterans who had served in the Virginia State Line (militia). Since there was a great amount of land involved, other deputies were appointed to assist.
Records were kept by the surveyors in an Entry Book. As a matter of interest, in 2 Aug 1784 the first entry was made by Major Croghan for one John Montgomery, William Croghan, Mayo Carrington and John Rogers who were shown as Trustees who were laying off a town on the River Mississippi.
The Kentucky General Assembly abolished the office of Surveyor of Military Lands in 1879. All the documents and books were to be sent to the Register of the Land Office.
It would be of great interest and information for researchers in early Kentucky to check out the records held by the Kentucky Land Office! There are thousands of documents recorded, copies of the original images included.
Again, the website is http://sos.ky.gov/land/
Thanks are given to the Kentucky Land Office for the information provided that made these tips possible.
© Copyright 12 January 2012.