Search for content in message boards

TIP #1050 NAMES MENTIONED IN THE CERTIFICATE BOOK OF THE VIRGINIA LAND COMMISSION, 1779-1780. PART 30

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

TIP #1050 NAMES MENTIONED IN THE CERTIFICATE BOOK OF THE VIRGINIA LAND COMMISSION, 1779-1780. PART 30

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 6:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rees, Rallery, Douglas, Kendrick, Lemare, Curry, Hartness, Greathouse, Tomleson, McClane, Hartness

When I think I should stop this series as it might be boring to the list members, I receive an e-mail from one or more people saying excitedly that they finally found reference to someone they’ve been looking for! So, please bear with me as we get closer to the establishment of our earliest citizens in Kentucky – before it became a state. Same date and location as last week’s post.

Joel Rees, 1000, came into court and requested that the summons ordered for John Bunton on his motion be dismissed and offered to locate his land lying on the Rolling Fork of Salt River on the Old Hunter’s trace between the Sulphur & Indian Licks.

Alexander Rallery by James Douglas claimed 1000 acres – rejected.

John Moore by Sam’l More claimed 1000 aces – rejected. Adjourned.

20 Apr 1780 at St. Asaphs.

Solomon Kendrick, assignee of Gallant Lemare, 1400, settled 1777, on the Shawnee Run where Gorden’s Fork & The Middle Fork meet; includes large spring.

Wm Curry claimed 1000 acres, rejected.

Robert Hartness by Joseph Tomlinson, 1000, M&I 1776; on the N side of the N Fork of Elkhorn on a branch that runs into the N. Fork, about 8 miles above McClelland’s land.

Mary Hartness, heir at law to Jacob Greathouse by Joseph Tomleson, 1000, M&I by deceased 1776; on the N side of the N Fork – same location as above.

John Carpenter by Jos’h Tomleson, 1000 – not inquired into.

Dan’l Gallasby, 1000, by Joseph Tomleson, M&I 1776, on a branch of Licking that runs in on the S of Higstons Fork of Licking, near Higston’s improvement, about 14-15 miles up the branch.

Abiger McClane by Jos’h Tomleson, 1000, M&I 17786i; on a branch that runs into the N Fork of Elkhorn Creek, on the N side, about 3 miles above lands of Mary Hartness, heir to Jacob Greatstead.

Sam’l Campbell, assignee of James Mitchel, heir at law to John Mitchell decd, 1400, corn in 1776, about 1 ½ miles from the Lick on a buffaloe road, near to Salt River; includes improvements made by Sam’l Moore in 1774 & 1775.

James Deoger, 400 acres, rejected.
Zacheriah Doeger, 400 acres, rejected.

Solomon Kendrick, assignee of Wm. Dorten, 1400, 1400, corn in 1775, on the N side of Silver Creek about 2 miles from the little fort; “DW” and “MS” on trees, below a trace, includes spring.

Waller Overton, 1000, M&I 1776, on the E fork of HIckmans; includes his improvements; joins land of John Hickman who is assignee of Dan’l Turner. Witnesses called, he only entitled to 1000 acres, not 1400.

Joseph McClane by John Maxwell, 1000, M&I 1776, about 2 miles above the mouth of Grear’s Creek.
James Mastrson, 400, rejected.

Thomas Maxwell, 1000, M&I 1776, waters of the N Fork of Licking on the lower Buffaloe Road that crosses the said N Fork; about 2 miles from the same; includes a cabbin built by Alexander McClellen.

Adam Rough, 1000, corn 1775, on N side of KY River; includes improvements.

Edward Mitchell, 1000, corn 1776, on Clear Creek a branch of the KY River, about 1 ½ miles from Isaac Greer’s improvements; includes an improvement purchased by James Greer.

John Hutton, 1000, rejected.

Aron Higgins, 1400, corn 1776, on Buck Lick Creek, a branch of the S Fork of Licking, includes a small deer lick and improvements.

Sam’l Lyon, heir at law to Dan’l Lyon, decd. 1400, improved lands in 1776. Thos. Cartmot came into Court & alleged that he purchased the s’d deceased’s right in his lifetime, testimony taken; Court decided Sam’l Lyon has a right to the land. Waters of Hingstons Fork of Licking Creek on a branch that emptied in about 8miles above the fork on the same side. Known by the name of Morton’s Creek; joins land of Patrick ___den and Mathew Sullever, includes John Lyons’ improvements. Adjourned.

21 Apr 1780, same location.

John Fleming, 1000, M&I 1776, on the waters of a creek that empties into Licking Creek between the upper and lower Blue Licks, about 3-4 miles nearly NE from the upper Blue Lick, includes improvements.

John Vantress, assignee of John Maddleson who was assignee of Thos. Ogle, 1000, M&I 1776, on the Rolling Fork of Salt River – rejected for want of sufficient proof.

John Hutton, 1000, came into court and moved to have his certificate which was granted him for 400, on account of settling May 1779, on N side of the N Fork of Licking, a branch, about 8-9 miles from Riddle Station, includes improvements, accepted.

Ephraim Peyton, assignee of Wm Jennings, 1400, corn in 1775; on Cedar Creek, a branch of Chaplins Fork of Salt River, includes cabin built by Wm Stewart & Wm Beard; joins Baird’s preemption, small spring.

Will’m Flyner by Robert Johnson, 1000, M&I 1775, waters of Licking Creek. Rejected fdor want of proof.
Thos Gest by Robt Johnson, 1000 – rejected.
Benj’m Johnson, 1400, on account of Lewis Holmes raising corn in 1775. Rejected.

Edward Rolling, assignee of Wm. MCleary, 1000, rejected since it appears that there was a preemption already granted to Phillip, assignee of Cleary for the same service.

James Higgins, 1400, by Aron Higgins, corn 1776, on Buck Lick Creek, a branch of the S Fork of Licking Creek; joins lands of Aron Higgins.

John Swan by Rich’d Swan, 1000, appeared to court that he had obtained a certificate for this land.

John Swan, Jr, 1000, M&I 1776, on the S Fork of Rolling Fork of Salt River, about 2-3 miles from the mouth of the fork where a large Buffaloe road crosses the Rolling Fork, includes improvements.

Charles Swan by Rich’d Swan, 1000, M&I 1776, on a branch of the S Fork of Clear Creek near & head; joins lands of Van Swearingen, includes improvements.

Wm Swan by Rich’d Swan, 1000 – rejected.

Thomas Hughes, 1000 by Swan, M&I 1776, on a branch of the Rolling Fork of Salt River on the N side; about 1 mile from the head of Pleasant Run, includes improvement.

Joseph Hughes, 1000, M&I 1776, on a branch of Salt River that runs in on the S side, near the head of the branch about 1 ½ to 2 miles S from Silas Harlen’s land.

Sam’l Swan, 1000, heir at law to Thos Swan, decd., MK&I by deceased in 1776; on the N Fork of the Rolling Fork of Salt River, about 4 miles below the Clay Lick; includes improvement.

Nich’s McCarty, 1000, M&I 1776, on waters of Floyds of Salt River, 6i-7 miles from Linn’s Station near a SE course.

Rob’t Jones, 1000, by Rich’d Cheneth, M&I 1776, on Pottengers Creek, waters of Rolling Fork of Salt River, included improvement made by Cheneth near the head of the creek.

James Stewart by Rich’d Cheneth, 1000, M&I 1776, on the N side of the N Fork of Elkhorn on the Buffaloe Road that crosses the fork; includes improvements made by Jos’h Dandrey.

George Neil by Rich’d Cheneth, 1000, M&I 1776, on the Beech Fork of Salt River, S side, about 18 miles from the mouth and about 3 miles from the knobbs.

Edward Mooredock, 1000, M&I 1776, Clear Creek, a branch of Breashiers Creek, about 2 ½ miles from the punching camp, includes improvements.

Bezin/Rezin Vergen/Virgin by Sam’l Lyon, 1000. After testimony it appears to the court tht he obtained a certificate from the commissioners of the District of the Monogalia, hadn’t taken the oath of allegiance – rejected.

John Lyon by Sam’l Lyon, 1000, M&I 1776, on the S Branch of Licking Creek known as Martins Creek, improvements.

John Jones by John Fleming, 1000, M&I 1776, on a branch of Licking Creek about 8 miles from the Upper Blue Licks NE.

To be continued. Sandi

Find a board about a specific topic