Search for content in message boards

tip #1068 - IRON MINING IN KENTUCKY, PART 2

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

tip #1068 - IRON MINING IN KENTUCKY, PART 2

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 7:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jackson

Sometime before 1818, Andrew Jackson had great interest in an area of Kentucky that we now know as the Jackson Purchase. He owned, in 1836, part interest in the Columbia Mine which is the oldest mine in Crittenden County. This mine is about 4 ½ miles WNW of Marion, KY. It mined galena and extracted silver content, fluorspar (which was just thrown away as there was no value to it at the time). In 1864 the mine was sold to the Columbia Silver Mining Company and many changes of ownership occurred over the years.

The Yarnell Mine was the first mine to extract fluorspar. It is not certain where this mine was located but it was near the No. 22 Mine, SW of Frances. Production was small at this time but by the 1890’s it had expanded.

It was during World War II that fluorspar was in great demand. It was hunted for in mill ponds, waste dumps and underground mines. Mexico and China started exporting fluorspar and Kentucky’s fluorspar area decreased. It is hoped that there will be a revival in this industry.

I tried to find the various mines and located the following:

Klondike II Mine – Livingston County
Suwanee Furnace in Lyon Co., KY
See: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM68JE_Suwanee_Furnace_Ir...

• Belmont Furnace
• Boone Furnace
• Bourbon Furnace
• Buffalo Furnace
• Clinton Furnace
• Cottage Furnace
• Estill Furnace
• Fitchburg Furnace
• Hunnewell Furnace
• Laurel Furnace
• Mount Savage Furnace
• Nelson Furnace
• New Hampshire Furnace
• Old Slate Furnace (See Bourbon)
• Pennsylvania Furnace
• Pine Grove Furnace
• Raccoon Furnace
• Red River Furnace (See Estill)
• New Red River Furnace (See Fitchburg)
• Salt River Furnace
• Star Furnace
For links to each of these with photographs, go to:
http://www.oldindustry.org/KY_HTML/KyIron.html

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions