Many years ago, I ran a series on KY-RESEARCH of the early forts and block houses. I am going to expand on this and range from the settlement days through the Civil War. This will be a longer series and maybe your ancestors lived here or served from here. I will start with the Union Camps that have been recorded. There may have been more, or different names; these are the ones recorded.
Bacon Street Stockade: 1861-2, near Bonnieville. Protected RR over Bacon Creek.
Bardstown Junction Fort. 1862-5. For protecting the railroad; attacked by Morgan July 1863.
Battery Camp: 1864-5. Louisville, outskirts of New Hamburg.
Battery Gallup: 1865, Louisville. At Gibson Lane and 43rd Street.
Belmont Fort: 1862-5. Belmont, built for protecting the railroad.
Camp Anderson: 1861. Flippin. Temporary training camp.
Camp Andy Johnson: 1861, Barbourville. This was a state militia training camp for TN Unionists.
Destroyed by the Confederates in Sept. 1861.
Camp Ben Spalding: Near Lebanon, undetermined location.
Camp Boyle: 1861, Columbia. Temporary camp.
Camp Buell: 1860’s. Near Paintsville, location not determined.
Camp Burgess: 1863. Bowling Green. On south side of Vinegar Hill.
Camp Burnside: 1863-4. Near Burnside. Fortified for the 1863 Tn Campaign. At Point Isabel. It was
also called Fort Burnside; later named Burnside.
Camp Burnside: 1860’s Lincoln Co. Possibly north of Stanford.
Camp C. F. Smith. 1862. In Louisville area, undetermined.
Camp Calvert: In the Cumberland Gap area, location undetermined.
Camp Churchill: In the Cumberland Gap area, location undetermined.
Camp Cleo. 1861, on the S side of the Cumberland River at Bronston. Moved to the N side and re-named
Camp Hoskins –near Waitsboro.
Camp Coffey: 1860’s. Possibly Madison Co.
Camp Collins: 1860’s. Located at Warsaw, a Union training camp.
Camp Crittenden: Near Lebanon possible, undetermined location.
Camp Dick Robinson: 1861-2. Garrard County. Training camp and depot; first recruiting center south
of the Ohio River. Moved N of the river in 1862 and renamed Camp Nelson.
Camp Dumont: 1860’s. Located near Shelbyville.
Camp Ella Bishop: undetermined location.
Camp Finnell: 1860’s. Pikeville.
Camp Frazier: 1861-2. Cynthiana. Also a depot, destroyed by Morgan’s Raiders in 1862.
Camp Garnett: In the Cynthiana area, undetermined location.
Camp Gilbert: 1862. In the Louisville area, undetermined.
Camp Gill: 1860’s, Olympia Springs. A temporary camp.
Camp Groggin: See Camp Clio. When moved closer likely to Somerset.
Camp Harwood: 1860’s. Mercer Co, undetermined location.
Camp Haycraft: 1863-5. Elizabethtown; on SE side of town.
Camp Hazard. Near West Point possibly, undetermined.
Camp Holman: Near West Point possibly, undetermined.
Camp Hoskins: See Camp Clio.
Camp Irvine. In the Louisville area, undetermined.
Camp Joe Anderson: 1860’s. Christian County, undetermined location.
Camp Joe Davis: 1863. Located at Tunnell Hill. Near the railroad.
Camp Joe Underwood: 1861. Barren County. Training camp SW of Glasgow.
Camp Kenton: 1861. Maysville.
Camp Lytle: 1860’s. Nelson Co, undetermined location.
Camp Madison: 1860’s. Franklin County. Temporary camp, undetermined location.
Camp Moody: 1860’s. Madison Co. Undetermined location.
Camp Moore. 1860’s. Undetermined location near Columbus – possibly CSA.
Camp Morton: Nelson Co. Undetermined location.
Camp Nelson: 1862-5. Near Hall. A major supply depot, recruitment center & prison camp. Batteries
Here included Hatch, Nelson, Jackson, Putnam, Pope, J. P. Taylor, Mckee and Jones. Near here
Also was the Battery Studdiford.
Camp Nevin: 1861-62. Near Nolin. A temporary camp 9 miles S of Elizabethtown at Red Mills.
Camp Owens: 1860’s. Pulaski Co, undetermined location.
Camp Pope: Near New Haven, undetermined location.
Camp Sawyer: Undetermined location.
Camp Sigel: In Louisville area, undetermined.
Camp Swigert” 1860’s. Greenup County, undetermined location.
Camp Wallace: In the general vicinity of Fort Bishop.
Camp Ward: 1860’s. Greensburg. Training camp.
Camp Washington: 1861. Elizabethtown. One mile N of town along the railroad.
Camp Wickliffe: 1861-2. Near Athertonville. Winter camp & supply depot, NE of Hodgenville.
Camp Wildcat: 1861. Near Lexington. Marker here.
Camp Wolford: 1861. In the area of Camp Clio, etc.
Camp Wood (Fort Wood): Established 1861 on N side of Munfordville.
Fort Allen: 1862-3. New Haven. To protect the railroad bridge across the Rolling Fork River.
Fort Anderson: 1861-64. Paducah. A 7-gun enclosed fort. Destroyed by the CSA in March 1864.
Fort at Boonesboro. 1863-5. Unnamed; protected the Kentucky River crossings at Clays Ferry
& Valley View. Built by African-American Union troops.
Fort Beauregard. 1861-64. Near Columbus. Originally CSA.
Fort Bishop: Louisa, KY. 1864-5, a seven gun fort. It was also known as Fort Gallup and Fort Hill.
Fort Boone: 1863-5. Frankfort. Originally called Fort Crittenden. Rebuilt later and called New Fort
Boone and New Reddoubt.
Fort Boyle: 1862-5. Near Colesburg; By the RR bridge over Big Run, 1 mile S of town. Also called Fort
Fort Bramlette: 1863-5. Near Camp Nelson. On a hill overlooking Hickman Creek & KY River.
Fort Brannaum: 1862-5. Near Camp Nelson. At the Kentucky River.
Fort C. F. Smith. 1861-5. Bowling Green. Originally a CSA fort, rebuilt and renamed in 1862. On
Reservoir (College) Hill which is now a city park nxt to the Bowling Green-Warren County
Fort Clark: 1865. Louisville, at 36th and Magnolia Streets.
Fort Clay: 1862. Lexington.
Fort Craig: 1860’s. Woodsonville; built on an early Confederate fort.
Fort Crittenden: Undetermined location.
Fort DeRussy. 1861-4. Columbus. Originally a CSA fort; evacuated after the Fall of Forts Donelson and
Henry in Tn, Feb. 1862. Renamed Fort Halleck by the Union.
Fort DeWolf. 1862-05. Salt River. A stockade fort protecting the railroad bridge across the Salt River;
Originally an earthwork fort with three guns. Just south of Shepherdsville. Marker.
Fort Duffield: 1861-2. West Point. On Pearmin Hill at US 31W & Salt River Drive near Fort Knox. This was
Once a modern military reservation.
Fort Elstner: 1864-5. Between Frankfort Ave and Brownsboro Road near Bellair, Vernon and Emerald Avenues in Louisville.
Fort Engle: 1864-5. Louisville, at Spring Street and Arlington Avenue.
Fort Garrett: Near Pinckhard in Woodford County.
Fort Heiman. 1862, 1864. Near New Concord. An abandoned CSA fort, then back to the CSA.
Fort Hill: 1864-5. Two forts bore this name. Between Goddard Ave, Barrett and Baxter Streets and the
St. Louis Cemetery.
Fort Hobson: 1863-5. Glasgow. See Fort Williams.
Fort Horton: 1864-5. Louisville, at Shelby and Merriweather Streets (where the city incinerator plant is).
Fort Hutchinson: 1863-6. Mt. Sterling. Now a cemetery.
Fort Jones: 1862-05. Near Booth. Protected RR bridge over Rolling Fork. Also known as Fort McAlester.
Fort Karnasch: 1864-5. Louisville, on Wilson Ave. between 26th & 28th Streets.
Fort Lytle: 1861-5. Originally Confederate camp; re=named in 1862 when Union forces captured the city. On Vinegar/Copley Hill, now WKU campus.
Fort McCook. 1861-66. Originally a Confederate fort in 1861 and known as Fort Rains. Taken by the
Union in June 1862.
Fort McPherson: 1864-5. Louisville, on Preston St, bounded by Barbee, Brandeis, Hah and Fort Streets.
Fort Philpot: 1864-5. Louisville, at 7th Street and Algonquin Parkway.
Fort Lyon: 1861-66. See Confederate camp Fort Pitt.
Fort Saunders: 1864-5. Louisville, at Cave Hill Cemetery, 701 Baxter Avenue.
Fort Sands: 1862-5. Near Tunnell Hill; near the RR bridge over Sulphur Fork.
Fort Sayles: 1864, Near Camp Burnside, 4 guns.
Fort Smith: 1861-5. Smithland. A double fort where the Cumberland River meets the Ohio River.
Fort St. Clair Morton: 1864-5. Louisville, at 16th & Hill Streets.
Fort Southwick: 1864-5. Louisville. On Paddy’s Run on the Ohio River. Marker at Algonquin Parkway.
Fort Spring: 1860’s. Lexington, west of the Blue Grass Airport.
Fort Terrill: Woodsonville area.
Fort Wallace. Near Burnside, never completed by 1864.
Fort Williams: 1863-5. Glasgow. At the back of the Glasgow Municipal Cemetery.
Fort Willich: 1860’s. Woodsonville area, north side of the river.
Keller’s Bridge Stocade. 1860’s. Near Cynthiana. Protected the KY Central RR bridge over the South
Fork Licking River, N of town.
Lebanon Junction Fort. 1862-5. Stockade for protecting the railroad.
Nolin Stockade: Near Nolin, protected the Nolin River RR bridge.
Post at Lebanon: 181-65. Lebanon. A garrison post, captured by the CSA twice.
Shelbyille Blockhouse: 1865. At 5th & Main Streets; this was built by the citizens to combat outlaw and
criminal gang raids on the town at the end of the Civil War. It was torn down several months
cater when order was restored.
Taylor Barracks: 1864-70?) Louisville, 3rd & Oak Streets, induction center for Union African-Amerian
Next week: The Confederate camps and forts.