BALLARD, MAJOR BLAND STATION: See TYLER, CAPT ROBERT STATION.
BEARGRASS FORT/STATION. See FLOYD, COL. JOHN STATION.
BLUE LICKS STATION: 1788. Blue Licks Spring, Robertson Co. Also known as the Lower Blue Licks, near the Blue Licks Battlefield State Park, site of one of the last battles of the American Revolution.
BOONE, DANIEL STATION. 1779-1783; Athens. Built by Boone on Boone Creek after he and family left for Fort Boonesborough. Samuel Boone, Daniel’s oldest brother, also settled here. Boone Creek was named after Daniel’s brother, Edward Boone, killed in 1780. State Historical site.
BOONE, CAPT SQUIRE STATION. 1780, two miles north of Shelbyville, Shelby Co, on the north bank of
Clear Creek. Also known as Painted Stone Fort/Station. Attacked in 1781. Squire Boone, Daniel’s brother, painted graffiti on creek stones in 1776.
BOONESBOROUGH FORT: 1776-1820, Boonesboro. State Park. Originally was located here Daniel
Boone’s Fort or Fort Boone, located at Sycamore Hollow. The settlement was moved 300 years and then named by Richard Henderson in July 1776. This new compound consisted on a rectangular formation of eight log cabins on the long sides which were parallel to the river and five cabins on the short sides. Two-story blockhouses were at each corner. This was attacked by the Indians in April 1777 and again in Sept. 1778. Boone’s cabin/fort was burned in 1777 during the siege on the main fort. This became the first chartered town in Kentucky in 1779.
BRASHEAR, WILLIAM STATION: 1779-1781. East of Shepherdsville, Bullitt Co; on the Salt River, about ¼ mile below the mouth of Floyd’s Fork Salt River. Brashear was killed by the Indians in 1781. This station was later renamed ISAAC FROMAN’S STATION (1780’s) and also known as FROMAN’S FOLLY and FORT NONSENSE because Froman did not own the land. It was also known as SALT RIVER GARRISON or GARRISON AT BULLITT’S LICK in 1780. Then, later, it as known as the POST AT THE SALT RIVER, garrisoned by the KY State militia with 10 men.
BROWN’S STATION: unknown date, near Shelbyville in Shelby Co on Bullskin Creek.
BRYNE, EDMUND STATION: Unknown date; located somewhere on the North Fork Licking River in
Mason Co. Also spelled BYNE.
BURK’S STATION: 1785; on Goose Creek, possibly near Glenview, Jefferson Co.
CHENOWETH, RICHARD FORT: 1785. Possibly on Chenoweth Run, somewhere between Seatonville and Jefferstown in Jefferson Co. Attacked by Indians in July 1789.
CLEAR’S STATION: 1783. On Clear Run near Hubers, Bullitt Co, four miles north of Shepherdsville near
Blue Lick Gap.
COLEMAN, PETER STATION: 1785. On Goose Creek, Jefferson Co.
CURRY’S STATION: 1785. On Currys fork near Crestwood, Oldham Co.
DOWDALL’S STATION: 1778 or 1780. Shepherdsville, Bullitt Co. About one mile down river from the
mouth of Floyd’s Fork Salt River at a ferry crossing.
DUTCH STATION: 1780. St. Matthews, Jefferson Co. On Middle Fork Beargrass Creek. Also known as LOW DUTCH STATION or NEW HOLLAND STATION. Settled by Dutch pioneers from PA. Marker at
Brown’s Lane, Bowling Parkway, and Kresge’s Way.
FINN, JAMES(?) STATION: 1780? Undetermined location, possibly somewhere on the Salt River, Spencer Co.
FLOYDS FORK STATION: unknown date, near Pewee Valley, Oldham Co.
FLOYD, COL. JOHN STATION: 1779 or 1780. Three miles east of Louisville, Jefferson Co, on Middle Fork Beargrass Creek. Also known as WOODSIDE and BEAR FRASS FORT/STATION. Sometimes called MIDDLE STATION. Marker at Breckenridge Lane and Hillsboro Road. A stone springhouse and family cemetery still exists.
FROMAN, ISAAC STATION. See BRASHEAR, WILLIAM STATION.
FROMAN’S FOLLY STATION: See BRASHEAR, WILLIAM STATION.
GREEN’S STATION: unknown date, two miles from Bullitt’s Lick, Bullitt County.
HOAGLAND/OGLAND, JAMES STATION: 1784 or 1785. Near Cropper on Clear Creek, Shelby Co, about ½ mile northwest of the intersection of KY 241 and KY 43; about 8 miles north of Painted Stone
HOGLAND’S STATION: 1780. On Middle Fork Beargrass Creek, below John Floyd’s Station; Jefferson Co. Likely located where Big Springs Country Club is located. Also spelled HOGLIN.
HUGHE’S STATION: 1780. On Long Run, about two miles northeast of Eastwood, Jefferson Co. In May
1786 Capt. Abraham Lincoln, the grandfather of the president, was killed near here by Indians.
HUME’S STATION: Unknown date, near Conner in Shelby Co.
INDIAN OLD FIELDS: 1750’s. A Shawnee stockade village known as Es-ki-pa-ki-thi-ki. It was visited by John Findlay in 1752. Findlay escorded Daniel Boone to the abandoned site in 1769. Marker on KY 15
near Goffs Corner.
KELLER’S STATION: 1780. On Middle Fork Beargrass Creek, Jefferson Co.
KETCHUM, DANIEL STATION: 1784. On East Clear Creek near Christiansburg, Shelby Co.
KUYKENDAHL, MOSES STATION: 1782 or 83, on or near Harrod’s creek, east of Twelve Mile Island,
Oldham Co. Only lasted a year or two.
LOW DUTCH STATION: See DUTCH STATION.
LYNCH, CHARLES STATION: 1803-1840. On the south bank of Clear Creek, opposite Squire Boone’s
Station, Shelby Co. A single log cabin and a few slave cabins.
LYNN/LINN STATION: 1780. Lyndon, Jefferson Co; Middle Fork Beargrass Creek.
MOORE, JAMES STATION: 1785. Near Bethany, Jefferson Co, at the “Fishpools”. First settled 1783.
MUD GARRISON: 1778 or 1780; two miles from Bullitt’s Lick, Bullitt Co, Shepherdsville. Two rows of log
stockades located about midway between Bullitt’s Lick and the Falls of the Salt River. Protected the salt makers for the nearby settlements. Possibly also called the LOWER GARRISON (in reference to the “upper” garrison at Brashear’s Station)
NEW HOLLAND STATION: See DUTCH STATION.
NEWLAND’S STATION: 1780’s. South of Shelbyville in Shelby Co, west of Clear Creek on the old Harrod’s trace, possibly where the Weissinger Hills Golf Course is now located. Perhaps just a log cabin.
OLDHAM, WILLIAM STATION: 1785. On headwaters of South Fork Beargrass Creek, Jefferson Co.
OLD INDIAN STOCKADE: unknown dates; Lexington, Fayette, Co. Located north of town along North
Elkton Creek and Mt. Horeb Road.
OWEN, BRACKETT STATION: 1785. Shelbyville in Shelby Co. On the south side of Clear Creek, likely just a cabin.
PAINTED STONE FORT/STATION. See BOONE, CAPT SQUIRE BOONE STATION.
POPE’S STATION: 1779 or 1780. Six miles east of Louisville, Jefferson Co, on South Fork Beargrass Creek, where is now Bardstown Road about 500 feet southwest of the Waterson Expressway. Also known as SULLIVAN’S OLD STATION. Used as the county court in 1782.
POST AT SALT RIVER: See BRASHEAR, WILLIAM STATION.
SALT RIVER GARRISON: See BRASHEAR, WILLIAM STATION.
SPRING FORT/STATION: 1780. Louisville, Jefferson Co. On Beal’s Branch Beargrass Creek, northwest of john Floyd’s Station. Marker at McCready Avenue and Trinity.
STURGIS, PETER STATION. 17798. St. Matthews, Jefferson Co. Middle Fork of Beargrass Creek. Rebuilt in 1785 as a stone house by Col. William Christian and nicknamed Fort Williams (not the same as in Glasgow, KY). One log cabin still exists, located behind Oxmoor Center of Shelbyville Rd. Marker
at US 60 and Whipps Mill Road.
SULLIVAN’S NEW STATION: 1781. On South Fork Beargrass Creek, west of Pope’s Station. Located east of present day Norris Place between Eastern Parkay and Trevillian Way, Louisville, Jefferson Co.
SULLIVAN’S OLD STATION: See POPE’S STATION.
TANNER, DAVID STATION. 1784, Blue Licks Spring, Robertson Co.
TYLER, CAPT. ROBERT STATION: 1783-88. Three miles east of Shelbyville, Shelby Co, on Tick Creek (Gist Creek Lake) near the Keys Road bridge. First settled in 1781. Also known as MAJOR BLAND BALLARD’S STATION. Attacked by Indians in 1788 and then abandoned.
VAN CLEAVE’S STATION: unknown date, on or near Bullskin Creek southwest of Shelbyville, Shelby Co.
WHALEY’S STATION: Unknown date and location in Mason Co.
WELLS, SAMUEL STATION: On Bullskin Creek in Shelby Co, near the mouth of Fox Run and near SCOTTS STATION. Later owned by Squire Boone after he sold Painted Stone Station.
WHITAKER, CAPT AQUILLA STATION: 1784 or 1785. On the north side of Clear Creek, southwest of
Shelbyville, Shelby Co. Another station by the same known is shown in Bullitt Co, location unknown.
WILLIAMS’ STATION: Unknown date, north of Montclair in Shelby Co; on the west side of Little Bullskin
Creek, one mile west of Samuel Wells’ Station.
WILSON, GEORGE STATION: 1785. Somewhere on Floyds Fork Salt River or one of its tributaries,
WOODSIDE STATION: See FLOYD, COL. JOHN STATION.
To be continued next week.