Nelson County, KY was settled in 1780 by Isaac COX. He located near the trace from HarrodÂ’s Town to both the Falls of the Ohio and BullittÂ’s Lick and many settlers came there until they could be established in other location. In a deposition taken by Samuel OSBURN in a Nelson Co Circuit Court record (no date shown), he was asked how many of the settlersÂ’ names he could remember. He gave the following:
David COX, brother of Col. Isaac COX, Jeremiah ANDERSON, James McGEE, Andrew KIMBERLEY, Andrew VAUGHAN, Jacob DEEKER, Arichibald McDANIEL, William SMILEY, N. McCLARTY, Henry WATSON, Joseph ENLOW, John HUGHES, William MAY, John BENNETT, Samuel OSBURN, Isaac COX, Mrs Isaac COX (nee ENOCH).
Other records reveal more names: John DOZIER, Samuel BRASHEAR, Matthew WELLER, Richard CONNER, Matthew KURTZ, George MAY (the new Jefferson Co KY surveyor who came from VA, moved to Jefferson (now Nelson Co per COLLINS).
Isaac COX was killed by the Indians in 1787; his widow later married William MAY. John FINCH came to the station in the fall of 1780. Capt. Samuel POTTENGERR (1754-1831) was the founder of PottengerÂ’s Station (Nelson Co) in 1781 and stated that he, his eldest daughter (Mrs. James PHILLIPS who was born at the fort in 1783) lived at CoxÂ’s Station many years. The orphan children of Robert and Elizabeth WILLETT POTTENGER of Prince Georges Co MD came to KY in 1783 Â– Elizabeth, Jemima, Susannah, Anne and Eunice.
POTTENGERÂ’S STATION: This fort was founded by Capt. Samuel POTTENGER above and was located a mile north of Gethsemane Postoffice and 5/8ths of a mile south of Abbey of Gethesame in southern Nelson Co. Samuel was born 29 April 1754 in Price Georges County and came to Kentucky in 1776. He served in the Revolutionary War in Maryland in 1777, was with James HARROD in 1778, to Wm. HARRODÂ’s company in 1780 and died 20 Jan 1831. He is buried in Cox Creek Baptist Cemetery, 5 miles from Bardstown. The following individual were guaranteed to be living at PottengerÂ’s Station thanks to family records which were preserved Â– none of which were known as hunters and landseekers. Most of them stayed in the area with a few moving to the Great Miami valley in Butler and Preble Counties, OH.
Children of Robert and Elizabeth (WILLETT) POTTENGER (cited in previous fort Â– from Maryland), Capt. Samuel POTTENGER (founder 1754-1831), Elizabeth POTTENGER, spinster; Jemima POTTENGER, Susanna POTTENGER (married Robert BROWN in 1791), William POTTENGER (1765-1824, married Mary MELTON in 1795), Robert POTTENGER (1767-1845, married Fanny GEE in 1800), John POTTENGER (1769-1842, married first Jane GILKEY in 1795, married second Catharine RAILSBACK in 1800), Dennis POTTENGER (1770-1856, married first Mrs. Sarah BLACK, secondly Betsy LOWDEN), Anne POTTENGER (1773-1853, married 1795 John WITHROW who was the stepson of Captain POTTENGER), Eunice POTTENGER (1777-1842, married Abram GRAFFT in 1798. The older Samuel POTTENGER (1718-1820); his wife Eleanor WILLETT (1726-1822) and their seven children, Jemima who married John GILKEY, Elizabeth who married Capt. David GILKEY Â– JohnÂ’s brother; Samuel S (1767-1827 who married Susan WITHROW, Capt. POTTENGERÂ’s stepdaughter, Sarah (1764-1827 who married first Daniel ROBBINS and secondly to James WITHROW who was SusanÂ’s brother, Eleanor who married first John ROBBINS and secondly John DOWDALL, Nancy who married Charles SWEARINGEN brother of Indian Chief Â“Blue JacketÂ”, Susannah who married Richard SIMMONS and Thomas who 1772-1815 who married Elizabeth KINKADE.
Others at the station included: Samuel KINKADE and his wife Elizabeth WILSON KINKADE; her brother and sister, James and Sarah WILSON and their daughter Elizabeth who married Thomas POTTENGER, John GILKEY who came frompresent day Rutherford Co NC, Jane (born GRAY), his wife. She had first married Capt John WITHROW in NC. Also Jane GILKEY, their daughter (first wife of John POTTENGER), Robert GILKEY, their son who married Sarah S KERCHEVAL), John WITHROW who married Anne POTTENGER, Susan WITHROW who married Samuel S POTTENGER), John GILKEY who was killed by the Indians while hunting for meat Feb 1782 (on June 12 of the same year his widow married Captain POTTENGER (Jane GRAY WITHROW GILKEY) Â– they had three children. Elizabeth POTTENGERR, 1783-1857 who married James PHILIPS, Samuel Jr (1785-1832 who married Lucinda JAMESON.
There follows a list of inmates (no explanation given) who came from Pennsylvania: Charles MASTERSON, John MASTERSON, John MASTERSON Jr, Thomas MASTERSON, William MASTERSON, William MASTERSON Jr, Hugh MASTERSON, Hugh MASTERSON Jr, Jerry MASTERSON and Zachariah MASTERSON. With them came Jacob MUELLER (MILLER) who had married in PA Elizabeth MASTERSON, a sister of the elder MASTERSONÂ’S above. They had several children born at the station including Abraham, Rebecca, Rev. David and Amos Miller.
The WILLETT clan came from Prince Georges County, MD (sons and daughters of William Sr and Mary GRIFFITH WILLETT who after his death married Richard SIMMONS of Landover: Mary (GRIFITH_WILLETT) SIMMONS, the widow in Nelson Co in 1794; her grandson, William T SHANCEY and his wife Mary. He died in the same county in 1814. Her 3 grandsons, William, Joseph and Henry CHILDS, James WILLETT, Capt. Samuel WILLETT and wife ANNE and sons John, William, Mary and Elizabeth; George WILLETT and wife Elizabeth and sons Samuel, Griffith, Richard, and George Jr and daughters Nancy, Susan, Elizabeth and Mary; William WILLETT and his first wife Mary along with their children Richard, William, Thomas, Edawrd, George, Ann, Elizabeth and Mary; Griffith WILLETT and wife Mary (FERREE GRAFT) with their children William G, Cornelius F, Mary (md a CRUME), Rachel (md a CRUME), Rebecca (married a STILES), Nancy (married a STILES), and Susannah who married a NORTHERN. Also Mary (FERREE) GRAFTÂ’S children by her first husband, George Â– David, Jacob, and Abram GRAFT; Richel WILLETT who married Richard PRICE along with their children: Richard Jr, Nancy, Polly, Priscilla and Major REASON; Taibtha WILLETT who married Richard SIMMONS and their children: Joseph, Richard, Samuel, William, Jonathan, Griffith, Nancy, Susan, Verlinda, Polly and Tabitha. This family later moved to Bullitt Co KY.
HOYS STATION. The Filson Club provided the names on this station which was located on TateÂ’s Creek on the dividing ridge between TateÂ’s and Otter Creek, Madison Co KY. It was founded by Major Wm HOY in 1781. It is mentioned in the Draper mss 12CC188-9 in an interview with J SAPPINGTON. He listed the following residents: Major HOY and wife, Jonas HOY his won who with Jack CALLOWAY was taken prisoner by the Indians; daughter of Major HOY who married Jno NEWLAND; Rowland HOW, old man CROOKS; Jonathan CROOKS, Daniel WILLIAMS, Ven? WILLIAMS, George BROWN, Jos. DURBIN, Thos. LANHAM; John SAPPINGTON whose first wife was a sister of James HOY, Mr. and Mrs. CALLOWAY Â– she had first married a Mr. HOY before coming West with the mother of Major Wm HOY. The following were killed: Major HOY, Old Man CROOKS, Rowland HOY.
McGARY STATION Â– located in current Mercer County about 4 miles northwest of Harrodsburg. It was settled in 1781 by Hugh McGARY according to the Draper mss 12CC136 in an interview with J. STEVENS. Shown are Hugh McGARY who married Caty YOCUM (Â“my wifeÂ’s sister), Gen James RAY who married another sister; Jas. And Wm RAY who were step sons of Hugh McGARY. Wm RAY was killed by the Indians.
To be continued.
(c) Copyright 14 October 1999, Sandra K. Gorin, All Rights Reserved. email@example.com