Search for content in message boards

Antique Dresser Signed by Alice Holtsclaw Catching (sp?) Bought for Hattie Holtsclaw 1860-1870

Replies: 0

Antique Dresser Signed by Alice Holtsclaw Catching (sp?) Bought for Hattie Holtsclaw 1860-1870

Posted: 23 Feb 2014 4:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holtsclaw, Booker
I recently inherited an antique bedroom set from my mother, who inherited it from her aunt. Inside the top right hand drawer is written the following: "Bought for Miss Hattie Holtsclaw sometime between 1860-1870 Given to Marnie (sp?) Stevenson Booker Nov 20 1931 by Alice Holtsclaw Cotching (sp?). I am trying to find out who these people were. The dresser was in Central City, Marion County, IL for many years. It was owned by my great-aunt, Belle Hardy Morris, and I believe by my great-grandparents prior to that, Mr. & Mrs. William B. Hardy. I would like to find out who Hattie, Alice, and Marnie were and what became of them. I apologize for spelling questions, as it is written in pencil and a couple of letters in the names are hard to decipher. Thank you for any information. I found only one Holtsclaw in IL in the 1860 & 1870 Census, but may need to look outside our state of IL. Have found no Hattie or Alice to match these at all.

Find a board about a specific topic