Search for content in message boards

Hillman, Steinforth, Mohlman

Replies: 9

Re: Hillman, Steinforth, Mohlman

Posted: 5 Mar 2014 3:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you, Wendy, for your reply. I, too, have found this family in the 1860 census and wondered if this could be the daughter I am looking for. I do not have any names or dates for Johann Gerd Mohlman's first wife or his daughter and this has been my biggest hurdle. I am looking for a needle in a haystack! Johan Gerd Mohlman's daughter-in-law (who is my husband's grandmother) wrote a short history about Johann stating that he had married and had a daughter. She lists NO NAMES. The wife died and being grief-stricken he joined the Army and left his daughter in the care of his parents (this is incorrect because both his father and mother died in Germany). He eventually ended up in the Utah Territory where he was discharged. He then sent for his daughter and the story goes that his family was angry that he wanted to stay in the Utah Territory and would not send her. Rather than cause trouble he let them keep her and he never saw her again. That is all I know. He immigrated from Germany (I think) in Nov 1853 and joined the Army at Newport, Kentucky a year later in Nov 1854. SO I started looking for a marriage record or a birth record in Covington or Cincinnati with his name on it but have had no success. I have also looked for a marriage record in the German town he was from but have found no record so I am assuming he married here. Lots of questions to be answered. I have documented his entire life, except for that year between the time he immigrated and the time he joined the Army in Newport, KY.

That is way more than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but I appreciate another pair of eyes looking for him on some record. He always spelled his name:--- Moehlmann or Mohlmann. Part of his family in Germany changed the name to be spelled with an "A" - Mahlmann but he never did. All the documents I have for him show his name spelled with an "O". But as you recognize, handwriting is sometimes difficult to determine an A from an O.

That 1860 census record showing Mary Mahlman and Bertha Mahlman as children of Ernst Mahlmann is the most compelling evidence so far for me because the age of Mary works with the time frame. I have since determined from another death document that Ernest Mahlmann was married to a Johanna. Why she doesn't appear on that census is strange, though. Still, they could have taken her in as a baby when the mother died. This does not prove she belonged to Johann. What I need is a birth record with his name on it - or a marriage record with his name on it. I will continue to look. Thank you again for listening to my story. I, too, love genealogy and this mystery in the family has almost driven me crazy! I am beginning to think that the story was probably written down incorrectly or was misunderstood.

Thank you again for keeping an eye out for his name. If I can help you in any way, please ask. Gratefully, Lucille Mohlman
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanSharp57 11 Aug 2001 2:00PM GMT 
LucilleMohlma... 15 Nov 2005 12:33AM GMT 
mtbjn789 18 Sep 2008 7:35PM GMT 
JanSharp57 22 Sep 2008 8:21AM GMT 
flambam 23 Sep 2008 2:19AM GMT 
shortie303 3 Mar 2014 7:57AM GMT 
LucilleMohlma... 4 Mar 2014 2:59PM GMT 
shortie303 4 Mar 2014 3:23PM GMT 
LucilleMohlma... 5 Mar 2014 10:29PM GMT 
mtbjn789 18 Sep 2008 7:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions