Search for content in message boards

Wilkinson family in Rock Castle or Lincoln Counties, Ky 1800-1850

Replies: 2

Re: Wilkinson family in Rock Castle or Lincoln Counties, Ky 1800-1850

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 11:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Wilkinson
I am just now revisiting my search for WILKINSON FAMILY history, & just noticed your posting [late]
"our" WILLIAM WILKINSON b: c. 1780 is still a mystery.

We have William's son:Jeremiah "Jerry" Wilkinson b: 1810.
Since family "story" has placed Jeremiah in Crab Orchard, Lincoln County KY. this would be a good place to start a search for his father William.

From the Rockcastle county Library Genealogist:
Yes there is a Crab Orchard and it is located in Lincoln County. The problem that they may have run across is that most people who live on the line of Rockcastle and Lincoln may have called where they live Crab Orchard, Rockcastle County. But the fact is the town of Crab Orchard is not a part of Rockcastle County. Rockcastle county was made from Lincoln, Madison and Pulaski Counties so it may have confused if it is around that time of change when Rockcastle became a county in April of 1810. I hope that this clears some things up for you.

Rockcastle County Library Genealogist,
Stacy Richards

As a rief background of Lincoln County KY., it was originally part of VA., & was formed in 1780. The county seat is located in Stanford, KY. Lincoln Co KY was one of the three original counties in KY. In 1776, a part of Fincastle Co. was taken to form Kentucky County VA.
Kentucky County was then divided by the VA legislature in 1780 to form the counties of Fayette, Jefferson, & Lincoln. When Kentucky became a commonwealth in 1792, nine counties had already been created. They were Nelson, Bourbon, Madison, Mercer, Mason, & Woodford. Therefore, when searching your families, you may wish to look in Fincastle Co., VA, & Kentucky Co VA as well as those counties previously mentioned.

Some Fincastle records may be found in the Montgomery Co Courthouse in Christiansburg.

William Wilkinson b: 1780 should be found in Lincoln County KY for the births of Letitia A. Wilkinson daughter b: c.1811 to 1815.
William Wilkinson b: 1780 should be found in KY for the birth of James Wilkinson son b: 1816.
William Wilkinson b: 1780 should be found in KY for the birth of John Wilkinson son b: 1824.

There is a William Wilkinson, Lincoln county Crab Orchard
census. who we think could be William b: 1780ish?

1820 Lincoln County Kentucky Census
Crab Orchard
page 49 (only odd number pages-even #'s had slaves)
Wilkinson, Lydia (mom [?] of Wm.below)-
2 males 18-26;
1 female 16-26;
1 female over 45.[self]
page 51 - about 7 families away
Wilkinson, Will (Lydia's son [?])- (our William [?] b: c. 1780)
1 male under 10; could be James b: 1816 KY
1 male 10-16; could be Jeremiah b:1810 Crab Orchard, Lincoln Co., KY
1 male 18-26;
1 male 26-45; (self) (b:c. 1775-1794)
2 females 10-16; could be Letitia b: unknown
1 female 16-26;
1 female 26-45. [Miss Cahorn b: (?) d: by 1826(?)]
If this is our William b: 1780ish, then there are other siblings
to Jeremiah & Letitia & James & John.......

Someone suggested that there are two possible candidates for father of our William Wilkinson b: c. 1780 in KY.

1) WILLIAM WILKINSON
1810 Madison County Kentucky census we find a William Wilkinson.

(2) JOHN WILKINSON
Early Kentucky Landowners 1787-1811 Lincoln County
etc.............John Wilkinson.........
the lists goes thru 1811 in Lincoln county.
http://files.usgwarchives.net/ky/nelson/deeds/t4160001.txt
"1 Jun 1790 Mercer County KY bond - Thomas EWING to Margaret TILFORD with David TILFORD as surety. David TILFORD certified his sister was of age.
20 Jul 1790 Lincoln County Court Order Book 3 p. 514 Ordered that the Honorable Samuel McDOWELL, Robert MOSBY and Jesse TILFORD be appointed to settle James DAVIS and Martha McBRIDE's account of their administration of
the estate of William McBRIDE dec'd (same page next record) William HAMILTON, James DAVIS and John WILKINSON acknowledged bond to John JONES to idemnify him as surety for Mary BAUGHMAN for her administration of Henry
BAUGHMAN's estate.
Lots of speculation......lots of places to look....

Jeremiah "Jerry" Wilkinson moved to MO by 1836

I am sure that you may have read my numerous postings on all the message boards.
My email is margaretmesserquick AT yahoo.com for ease of sharing WILKINSON Family information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rmemaz 17 Jul 2003 10:03PM GMT 
sdwusafret1 22 Jun 2010 8:31PM GMT 
MMQ 1 Dec 2012 6:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions