Search for content in message boards

John & Crockett CHOATE murdered in San Patricio Co., TX AUG 3, 1869 buried in Rockport, TX Cemetary

Replies: 1

John & Crockett CHOATE murdered in San Patricio Co., TX AUG 3, 1869 buried in Rockport, TX Cemetary

Posted: 24 Aug 2002 1:23PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 2 Jun 2006 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: CHOATE
This past weekend, while I was in Rockport, TX, I visited the local cemetary and I photographed some of the older headstones (and in this case the entire grave).

I photographed the writing on two CHOATE graves. They were adjacent to each other in the Cemetary.

If you would like for me to e-mail a copy of this photo file to you, please contact me and I will send a copy to you.

I would prefer that my photo files be used and shared only for non-commercial personal and family research purposes.

The first is the grave of John Choate. There us no actual headstone, but on the top cover of John Choate's grave is written:

Who was born in the State of Louisiana
On the 25th day of July A.D. 1818
and was killed at his residence
in San Patricio Co. Texas
on the 3rd day of August A.D. 1869"

[Then there is an icon representing the Masons] Continuing it says:

"A good man and true has gone to his rest.
He was an affectionate husband, a good neighbor, a warm friend and a zealous Mason."

"This simple tribute to his memory was erected by his wife who of all, esteemed him most for his many virtues."

The second grave was that of CROCKETT CHOATE (Possibly John Crockett CHOATE). Again there is no headstone. The writing on the top cover of the grave reads:

Who was born in the State of Texas A.D. 1842
and was killed at the residence of his cousin
in San Patricio Co Texas;
on the third day of August A.D. 1869."

Below that was written:
"This tells of a grave by the dashing wave,
A fond friends lip that did quiver,
Of an eye that's hid by a leaden lid,
And a voice now still forever.

Researching I found the following:
Index to the 1810 Attakapas (Saint Martin) Parish, Louisiana Census - Prepared by La Vaughn H. "LV" Hayes

Head of Household Page
John Choate 65
M. Choate 65
Thomas Choate 65

While I am taking pictures while in a cemetary, it is my habit to take as many photos as either my camera will hold or time will permit. Then I do my best to share those photos with their respective family researchers when I can find them and/or I place an announcement about the
photos on appropriate websites. Many researchers have helped me in the past, and this is my small way of passing on those favors.

There is a Rockport, Aransas County, Texas Cemetery photo website created by Patricia Barber Wendel and Jeanette Barber. The website is a work in progress and is not yet complete. The Rockport Cemetary website is located at:

[Be sure to slide the page from side to side when it finishes loading or you will miss some of the pictures]

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JTrahanUSA1 24 Aug 2002 7:23PM GMT 
bobbyhopper19... 20 Jul 2013 10:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic