Search for content in message boards

Family Ties

Replies: 22

re: Blueeyes

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Blue Eye, Blueeye, Obe
i've been trying to piece together all these Blueeyes and their relations and have had a little bit of success.

1910 Census
Police Jury Ward 1; District 28; Hickory Flat, Calcasieu, Louisiana
Pg 86 of 86

1) Blueeyes, Obe 1842; Head
2) Sal, Mary 1889; Dau
3) Sal, Jennie 1910; Gr-Dau
4) Sal, Oscar 1888; Son-in-law
5) Blueeyes, Elwa 1883; Head
6) Blueeyes, Seley 1870; Wife
7) Blueeyes, Lannie 1898; Dau
8) Blueeyes, Eddie 1902; Son
9) Blueeyes, Lang 1904; Son
10) Blueeyes, Bruce 1908; Son
11) Sal, Pier 1860; Head
12) Sal, Edwin 1899; Son
13) Johnson, Betsy 1830; Head

i have tentatively corrected those names which i knew were misspelled or were legible enough to make a guess.

the surname Sal i believe is probably Sol or Saul;
Mary's name was Nory but it looked more like Mary to me, i'm not sure;
Lannie was listed as Tannie (i'm not real confident that this is Lonie, but it is the only daughter listed ...);
Eddie was Edder;
Lang was Lony;
and Bruce was Buce.

still digging hoping to find more clues but nothing else so far.

Bruce is the only one of this branch of Blueeyes that i have fairly complete documented records for. as with my direct Blueeye ancestors, nearly all of them dropped off the radar and have left me guessing. of course, every new record has a different spelling (or mispelling) of my family's surnames, when they're legible at all; which makes it all the more challenging.

on a related note, i've posted on other threads regarding the Blue Eye name and how a good many of them took the surname Obe somewhere along the line. i know that it was fairly common for a son to assume his father's given name as his surname, and it took me a long time but i finally found a missing some evidence to confirm that one or more of Obe Blue Eye's descendants took Obe as their last name. there are a couple of people whom i suspect may be Obe's offspring due to circumstantial evidence but i have yet to find anything to confirm it. Elwah maybe his son; but he could also be a nephew or even a cousin. i have some records for various Blueeyes and Obes if anyone is interested i will pass them along.

now, i have a couple questions regarding Lonie's daughter, Laura Brown or Austin, and her father (?) Tolton / Talton Victorian. Tolton is easy enough to find, but i haven't found any records linking the three of them, and unfortunately haven't found any further hint of Lonie after 1910 so far. it might be helpful if i knew a bit more about Laura, like her date of birth, full maiden name, married names, etc. at least one person says that she died when Laura was 3 days old, and if that's the case then knowing when and where exactly Laura was born would help narrow things down considerably.

like most families, there is no lack of conflict information out there regarding this family and their kin, and i'd like to separate the unsubstantial hearsay type "facts" from the documented ones if possible. there is a post which names Elois Blueeyes from Beaver, Louisiana as the father of a Pocohontas Blueeyes aka Laura Brown born January, 1929 but this seems to conflict with other posts and information i've found, so i'm confused.

one final note about Obe Blue Eye and his son John.

from "Census of the Alibama [Alabama] and Koasati [Coushatta] in Polk County, Texas 1910, with Names and Clan Affiliations”

John Obe is listed on two of the census records with a "?" for clan affiliation (none of the Choctaws have this, only the Coushatta & Alabama)

and on the last page there is a note:

"In the (?) village, all are Choctaw except one family of Alibama, Obe Blueye is chief of this town."

which is really cool, but confusing, since he is on the 1910 census in Louisiana. and although i have nothing further for John Obe after the 1910 Federal Census, i do know his wife died in Allen Parish, Louisiana on December 4th, 1917. i’m fairly sure John died in Louisiana, although some of his kids did relocate to the Coushatta Reservation @ Livingston, Texas or to the Choctaw Nation. still, neat little bit of family history.

ok, i'm done rambling for tonight.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
chahta_kc 31 Dec 2012 3:23AM GMT 
graceweiss32 31 Dec 2012 3:32AM GMT 
chahta_kc 31 Dec 2012 9:58AM GMT 
chahta_kc 31 Dec 2012 3:27AM GMT 
anthony_brown... 30 Dec 2012 5:42PM GMT 
chahta_kc 31 Dec 2012 9:31AM GMT 
lynsg 15 Mar 2013 3:23AM GMT 
chahta_kc 7 Apr 2013 5:17AM GMT 
lynsg 24 Apr 2013 4:51AM GMT 
chahta_kc 7 Aug 2013 7:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions