Search for content in message boards

COKER'S OF OAKDALE, LA

Replies: 32

Re: Conley's in Oakdale Area

Donna Blaisdell (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2002 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Buxton, Doyle, Strother, Mostiet
Hi Ottis, thank you for your reply. The Buxton's I am primarily looking for are Valentine "Tine" B. Buxton, married first to Sophia Strother and then to Polly Ann Johnson; and Sherrod "Shirley" Buxton, married first to Lucinda Doyle and then to Ellen Johnson Bass, both of which were before your time. Valentine's children were Theodocia "Doshey" (married to Monroe Lambright), Laura (married to Seaborn Doyle), Lacy Alonzo (married to Cora Clark), Sherrod "Shirley", Herbert "Hub" (married to Goldie Cutsinger), William Riley "Bill" (married to Dora Clark and Almeda Fountain), Ella Buxton (married to Memphis Lambright), Silas (married to Georgia Mosley), Monroe (married to Barbara Strother), Emilie, Mitchell (maried to Katie Olive Johnson), Hattie Elizabeth (married to Warren McDaniel and Vander Bonds), Eliza Buxton and Murphy Buxton.

Sherrod's children were Lloyd (married to Grace Ashworth), Claude Buxton (married to Hettie Esther Johnson) Tom "Foley" (married to Theresa Mosteit and Verna Hillin), Monatee, Bertha, and Ernest.

The only kin that I know of that are still in Oakdale, is Gladys Buxton (married Robert Hardy Greer). Gladys is the d/o Mitchell and Katie Olive Buxton. Her brothers and sisters are Woodrow (married to Erma Gertrude Whitmire), Dolly Katie (married to Benton McMilan Rice and Delbert Castolina), Pearlie (Married to Millard Robert Perkins), Nathel (married to Leslie Odell Smith and Menest Mabay Henson), Climatine "Tiny" (married to Robert Ray Davis) and Vester Shelton "V.S." (married to Mary Ann Worth). I know there is another Buxton living in Oakdale, but I can't remember his name. There is a Buxton reunion held about every other year in Oakdale. The children of Monroe Buxton are the ones who host it. We are all descendants of Valentine B. Buxton. My grandfather was Tom "Foley" Buxton, s/o of Sherrod "Shirley" Buxton and his first wife Lucinda Doyle. And as I stated earlier, Sherrod "Shirley, was the s/o of Valentine B. Buxton and his first wife Sophia Strother. Most of the Buxton relatives that I have met, come from the second marriage of Valentine to Polly Ann Johnson.

Also, living in Glenmora is Myrtle "Lucille" McDaniel Wiggins, d/o Warren and Hattie McDaniel, raised by Vander Bonds. Lucille's brothers and sisters are: Polly McDaniel (married Ersa Mostiet), Ruth, Carol, Dovie, Daphine, Crecie, Hallie, Jo Vander, Allie Elizabeth, Marlene, and Leon Bonds. Lucille usually has a reunion of her line of Buxton's in Glenmora each year.

The Strothers and Doyles are kin by marriage, and I haven't done a lot of research on them.

Sorry this email is so long, but if you happen to recognize any of the names I would appreciate anything you could tell me about them.

Lindsey Conley (also spelled Lenzie) married Maggie Doyle in 1919 in Carson, LA. They may not have lived in Oakdale. I don't know who or where his family lived. I think Maggie's parents were James Doyle and Elizabeth Buxton and she had a sister name Wealthy who married August Mostiet.

I live in Lumberton, TX (a few miles north of Beaumont, TX) along the Gulf Coast. We just dodged another hurricane, unfortunately Louisianna was not as fortunate.

Hope I hear from you again.

Donna
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
findcoker 16 May 2002 1:18AM GMT 
Ittis Conley 9 Jun 2002 8:58PM GMT 
findcoker 19 Jun 2002 4:49PM GMT 
Ottis Conley 25 Jun 2002 2:41AM GMT 
donnablaisdel... 28 Sep 2002 2:05AM GMT 
Ottis Conley 1 Oct 2002 1:45AM GMT 
Carolyn 20 Oct 2002 10:23AM GMT 
Ottis Conley 21 Oct 2002 12:13AM GMT 
Ottis Conley 1 Oct 2002 1:45AM GMT 
Donna Blaisdell 3 Oct 2002 6:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions