Search for content in message boards

Gaudin Family research

Replies: 14

Re: Gaudin Family research

Dennis L. Alonzo (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2006 1:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Lynn,
Yes Ursula/Ursule Gaudin was the daughter of Jean Baptiste and Rosalie Dugas Gaudin. I have the same date of birth listed for Ursule as do you. My cite for that is the Catholic Church Records of the Baton Rouge Diocese, specifically ASC-5,447. But, I have the date of Ursule's marriage to Adelard Landry at Gaudin Home Place plantation as 18 Feb 1840 (but I have no cite listed for that date, which puzzles me.)
Recently Don Hunter of Coastal Environments, an archeological firm from Baton Rouge, conducted a very thorough dig at Babin Place plantation, the home of Adelard and Ursule, later known as Africa Plantation. The report contains a wealth of information about the Adelard and Ursule Gaudin Landry family - what they ate and how they lived! The creole plantation house of bousillage construction still stands, though it is in serious need of saving and restoration. It was originally made up from two Acadian cottages from the 1700's.
The site of the Jean Baptiste Gaudin plantation is located just below Babin Place and is targeted as the site upon which the Shaw Group may build one of the new ethanol plants! I am hoping that the Shaw Group hires Coastal Environments to expand their archeological work into Home Place plantation. As fate would have it, I recently ordered an historic marker designating the site and referring to Babin Place/Africa plantation, as well.
Have you seen the grand tomb of the Jean Baptiste Gaudin family, and the tomb (across the cemetery aisle) of Ursule Gaudin and Adelard Landry? There is a lot of information about this family going back to the Gaudin/Godins of St. James Parish and beyond...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
@@dalon@thema... 4 Dec 2002 3:41AM GMT 
sixrwe 4 Aug 2006 7:30PM GMT 
Dennis L. Alonzo 5 Aug 2006 7:09AM GMT 
sixrwe 5 Aug 2006 1:48PM GMT 
Charlene3008 9 Sep 2012 12:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions