Search for content in message boards

Milton/Moulton Carter Founder Rose Hill Baptist, Assumption/Emanuel Baptist,Ascension

Replies: 3

Milton/Moulton Carter Founder Rose Hill Baptist, Assumption/Emanuel Baptist,Ascension

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Tucker, Crayton, Brown, Jackson, Tucker, Thomas, Monroe, Wallace
My ancestor, Rev Milton (Moulton/Moton/Morton/Monday) Carter, founded Emanuel Baptist Church near Barton outside of Donaldsonville (I've seen it referred to as "on Bayou Lafourche" but I am in California)and Rose Hill Baptist in Assumption (Milton Carter purchased the land), pastoring both from 1891 till the late 1930s. He was from Virginia, in Assumption in 1880, settled in Barton, Ascencion (which seems to be highway 943 now). In the History of Louisiana Negro Baptists...1804-1914 by William Hicks, it says that about 1900 the black Baptists in the area began a development of 12 small churches (and the Leland Academy as an auxiliary school to Leland university), so I am thinking these are two of them, or at least connected. I am trying to find his burial place, his wife Charlotte (Tucker) Carter (d. 1939), grandmother Charlotte Thomas (in Assumption 1880), sisters Fanny Novelluese (!?) Monroe Wallace (buried Barton somewhere) & Jane Narcisse, daughters Nancy Crayton/Crayten & Luverda/Louvirda/Luverta the mother of a Perkins Brown and who later married a Mr. Jackson. I am interested in history, gravestones, records, and tracing the Carter & Tucker famliies furthur back.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MichaelSMArti... 15 Jun 2012 9:23AM GMT 
BarbaraMunson... 15 Jun 2012 6:30PM GMT 
BarbaraMunson... 15 Jun 2012 8:47PM GMT 
MichaelSMArti... 30 Sep 2012 7:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic