Search for content in message boards

Old (original) Rocky Mount Cemetery, Ringgold

Replies: 0

Old (original) Rocky Mount Cemetery, Ringgold

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Franklin, Kirkpatrick, Skipper, Phenel, Fennel
Hello all!

Have been chatting with Ann Skinner Boykin about the Old Rocky Mount Cemetery in Ringgold. Not the "current" Rocky Mount Cemetery, but the "old" one which was located somewhere out in the woods & was virtually destroyed when the woods were cleared in the 1980's.

Ann was told of the cemetery's location and recently went there with a friend & found some headstones still remaining (she told me of one still standing, another lying on the ground & yet another that was broken with only the death date left).

We know that the burials in this older cemetery were relatives of people now buried at the "current" Rocky Mount. Francis Eugene Franklin (1859-1920) & wife Ida Laura E Kirkpatrick (1867-1899) married 16 Sep 1884 in Bienville Parish (Book D pg 301). 20 Aug 1901 Francis E married 2nd wife Lizzie Neal (Niel) Skipper. Francis E & both his wives are buried at the "current" Rocky Mount.

Lizzie Skipper's first husband was Code (Phenel) Fennel who she married 4 Jan 1890 in Bienville Parish. They had two children, James Curtis b Dec 1895 TX & Oza F b 20 Mar 1898. Code and Oza F are both buried at the "old" Rocky Mount Cemetery.

Ann found the marker for Oza F (would this have been a boy or a girl??) & also found the lower portion of Code's headstone.

Does anyone know any more about this old cemetery?? Why was it abandoned for the new location? Is there an obscure list of burials somewhere?? Or does anyone know of anyone who was buried there? Additionally, does anyone know anything about the family of Code (Phenel) Fennel??

It breaks my heart that it was so torn up when the trees were cut.

Ann & my husband are related on the Franklin side and both the Franklin & Skipper families moved from Ringgold to Epps, West Carroll Parish, LA in the early 1920's along with a lot of other Ringgold residents.

Please contact Ann @ jboykin9@gmail.com if you have any answers and I'd appreciate being kept in the loop, too. My email is lisafranklin2004@earthlink.net

Thanks much!

Lisa

Find a board about a specific topic