Search for content in message boards

Davis-Goodwin-Terry-Barnett-McKinney-Edens-Johnson-Zachary-Chamlee

Replies: 9

Re: Davis-Goodwin-Terry-Barnett-McKinney-Edens-Johnson-Zachary-Chamlee

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't know anything about these families but the follwing excerpt from my ancestor's journal mentioned a Washington Early Edens, probably from around Plain Dealing. Maybe your Calvin Edens is related. Hope it helps.

Tuesday 25th April 1848

After an early breakfast this morning, I walked over town, and was struck with the improvement made here since I was here last.- I once thought that Minden would at some future day be a place of great importance in North West Louisiana, and I find that the public and enterprising spirit of its citizens, together with the increasing agricultural interest of the Surrounding country about it, etc more strongly convince me of the truth of my first impression.- Besides a large Mercantile interest already established here, the mechanical business is being directed and concentrated at this point where can be found shops of all kinds from the iron foundary, to the Black-smiths forge, including cotton gins shops- Silversmiths & waggon makers, Tinner gunsmithy etc.

But above all the attention of this community seems to be turned toward the Education & Moral Culture of the Youth of the country. There are at this time three fine schools in Minden.- To day I dined with J M Morrow- purchased a pr of pantaloons of Mrs Chaffe & got Mrs. Gilcourt to make them.

Was introduced to many Georgians here, now, looking at the country, and tried to sell Sevier to a Mr. Washington Early Edens, who lives about 25 miles from this place, But he spoke of the hardness of the times and scarcity of money & walked away & left me.

Wednesday 26th April 1848

This morning I arose early and by previous promise of yesterday took breakfast with my friend James McMurrow. Again walked over the town, Was introduced to a ery clever man by the name of Scott. With whom I had a sharpe dispute about the future price of cotton. Was introduced to day to a Gentleman by the name of Austin & his brother, one of whom lives in Columbus & saw me at the Stone Mountain in February- The other lives in Campbell-

Tilman went to Mrs. Gilcourts for my pantaloons & she made him pay a dollar for the making, after having agreed with me on yesterday to make them for 75 cts.- Put them on & they fitted finely- They are the only pair which I have except the one I had worn from Independence to this place and which were worn out. Ah me! Had my own beloved wife known my situation on yesterday in regard to Breaches how unhappy she would have been- Tis well for the happiness of mankind that some things in this world are hidden from our knowledge.

To day, whilst I was at camp at my dinner, Mr. Edens came up & offered me my price for Lewis, $712.50, and in five minutes we made a trade. Lewis was well pleased, as this man is said to be one of the cleverest and most humane men in all this Country. He has but one other negro & that is a likely Girl of 13 or 14 years & he wanted Lewis to make a family-
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
loganfalls 16 Jun 2010 12:34AM GMT 
rockapop 15 Aug 2010 9:38AM GMT 
rockapop 16 Aug 2010 2:23AM GMT 
rockapop 20 Sep 2010 1:53AM GMT 
rockapop 20 Sep 2010 11:49PM GMT 
loganfalls 21 Sep 2010 1:18AM GMT 
rockapop 21 Sep 2010 1:23AM GMT 
zackary67401 12 May 2011 6:13AM GMT 
bookertib 12 Jul 2011 1:28AM GMT 
rockapop 14 Jul 2011 2:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions