Search for content in message boards

Decendants of John Jacob Ryan

Replies: 38

Re: Decendants of John Jacob Ryan

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 7:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Sir:

My dad founded the Lakeside National Bank. The charter was approved in January, 1958, construction on the new building began in February, 1958, and when this building was completed (in September, 1958), doors remained shut until January 2, 1959 to avoid having to pay a furniture tax (I think he meant an "inventory" or "property tax"). Then on January, 2, 1959, Lakeside opened its doors to the public. It had shown a profit for every year that it was in business except 1972 (I think) when the regulators forced the bank to write off loans THEY thought were bad. They were wrong: in the following year, the bank recorded a net income of TWICE the usual amount ($2 million vs $1 million) because most of those loans were, in fact, good.

This building was two stories and covered with pink marble. By the 1980s, the Lakeside National Bank had grown so large (assets of $100 million, 200 employees, etc) they had outgrown the OLD building and constructed a newer 10-story building DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from the older building. The bank occupied the bottom-most floors for its operations and then leased out the upper floors to other local businesses (lawyers, insurance firms, etc) including the district attorney's offices (Frank Salter).

My dad purchased the land for this new building and I remember that he showed up at the construction site to make sure everything was being built "according to local construction codes" and to avert any problems that might arise. On Tuesday, just 3 days ago, I told him about my DNA match to you (referring to Pamela) whereupon he told me that he remembers that during the title search he had been informed that the NEW Lakeside National Bank building was built on the site of John Jacob Ryan's residence.

Dan Flanagan
June 29, 2012

PS Am I a descendant of John Jacob Ryan? Probably, but I have no documentation of that. But I have been confirmed by DNA testing to be related to SOMEONE descended either from his line (if we are sixth cousins) or his grandparents' lines (if we are seventh cousins) or even his great-grandparents' lines (if we are eighth cousins.)

PPS I can be reached here, if you prefer:
dflanagan@austin.rr.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kiki8538 7 Apr 2002 3:05PM GMT 
clfrerking 13 Jan 2010 3:59PM GMT 
kpoole 9 Apr 2002 2:57PM GMT 
Carolyn Frerking 9 Apr 2002 3:38PM GMT 
storykeeper18... 19 Sep 2009 1:13PM GMT 
mlr1615 22 May 2010 8:39PM GMT 
DannyBoy1951 28 Jun 2012 1:31AM GMT 
DannyBoy1951 29 Jun 2012 1:01PM GMT 
NCL855 23 Oct 2013 8:43PM GMT