Michel Peveto (1799-1881)
Michel Peveto (II) of Johnson Bayou was the son of Michel Peveto (I) and Apolonie Broussard. He was baptized 4 Feb 1799 at St. Martin du Tours Church in St. Martinsville, LA. Michel Peveto II was a private in Capt. Shadrack Porter's Company of Infantry, 15th Regiment, Louisiana Militia, War of 1812. Michel was in the Battle of New Orleans.
His first wife was Suzanne Hargrave, daughter of Darius Hargrave and Euphrosine Gilchrist. They married on 15 July 1817 at St. Martin du Tours Church in St. Martinsville, LA.
Michel settled in Jefferson Co, TX about 1835, on a Spanish land grant at a place called Peveto Point, across from the present day Bayou Din Golf Club on La Belle Road. When the Alamo fell during the Texas Revolution in 1836, the family left the area to the safety of the land beyond the Sabine River in Louisiana.
Michel and Suzanne's son, Michel III, remained in Texas as part of the Texas army. He survived the Battle of San Jacinto, but died shortly afterward. After the victory at San Jacinto, Michel and Suzanne Peveto returned to Texas and built a log cabin at Green's Bluff (present day Orange) in 1838 or 1839. Suzanne Hargrave Peveto was said to have died sometimes after this and was buried on the property.
On 5 Sep 1843, Michel Peveto married Caroline Millberry Arthur in Jefferson Co, TX. She was the daughter of Barnabas Arthur and Lucinda Bonn. Michel and Caroline Peveto moved back to Louisiana sometimes prior to 1850 and settled in Johnson Bayou, Cameron Parish, LA. (Prior to 1870, this area was part of Calcasieu Parish, which was formed from St. Landry Parish in 1840).
Michel Peveto died 12 Dec 1881 at his home in Johnson Bayou. Caroline Peveto died 1 Jan 1911.
Children of Michel Peveto and Susanne Hargrave:
1. Louisa Elizabeth Peveto: b. 7 Jan 1818, d. before 1882, m. 26 Nov 1838 James Waly (or Wayley)
2. Michel Peveto: b. 1 Mar 1819, d. before May 1838
3. John (Jean) Peveto: b.6 Jan 1821, d. 1910, m. first Missouri Hayes, second Elizabeth Gillen, third Mary Polly Hayes, fourth Sarah Hollis Harris
4. Joseph Belone (J.B.) Peveto: b. 18 Jan 1827, d. 16 Oct 1889; m. first to Ursala Simmons, second to Melissa Ellender, third Mrs. Anna McKenzie Smith
5. Adelaide (Delaide) Peveto: b. 10 Sep 1828, d. before 1882; m. James Eaves
6. Pelagie (or Plagine) Eldnar Peveto: b. 18 Jan 1831, d. 4 Jan 1905; m. Mr. Rogers
7. Alexander (Alexis) Peveto: b. 29 Sep 1835, d. before 1882; m. Louise ?
Children of Michael Peveto and second wife, Caroline Mi1berry Arthur:
1. Gille Peveto: b. 20 Feb 1845, d. after 1910; m. Sarah Strahan
2. Lucinda Peveto: b. 5 Feb 1846, d. after 1882; m. Uriah (Rye) Johnson
3. Elizabeth Peveto: b. ca 1847/48, d. after 1882; m. Michel Granger
4. Malonie (Lonnie) Peveto: b. 14 Dec 1848, d. after 1882; m. C. (Cyprien?) Duhon
5. 0lizeam Peveto: b. 6 Dec 1851, d. after 1938 ?; m. Sarah "Sis" Simmons
6. Asa Aleza Peveto: b. 13 Nov 1853, death date not known; m. Sarah Louise (Eliza) Simmons
7. Laura Josephine Peveto: b. 13 Nov 1856, d. after 1882; m. Emory A. (Bud) Smith
8. Furney G. Peveto: b. 24 Oct 1858, d.1908; m. Henrietta McGuire (or Bebe Gallier)
9. Tazie Peveto: b. 26 Oct 1860; death date not known; m. D.A. (Gus) Smith
10. Denease Annie Peveto: b. 29 Oct 1862, d. 16 Nov 1902; m. Frank Marion Gatlin
11. Savan (Vannie) Peveto: b. 3 July 1865; death date unknown
12. Ozenia Peveto: b. 10 Nov 1867, d. 8 Oct 1879
13. Ozan Peveto: b. 12 Sept 1869, d. 6 Aug 1938; m. Alice Patillo
Resources: Information researched and written by Laura Dingle Ewing and Frances Peveto Reid.