Search for content in message boards

Netherland ,Ray ,Paul, Mitchell ,Guyon ,Coon

Replies: 52

Re: Jean Baptiste Paul

Olivia Paul Duplessis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2001 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Apr 2003 11:54AM GMT
RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Avoyelles Families and Ancestry World Tree Search Results for Jacob Paul shows this particular branch of the Paul family in Catahoula Parish (portions of which are now in Concordia Parish). According to the website, there were five generations of Jacob Pauls, which makes the search a little more interesting.

The website shows three generations of Jacob Pauls being born in North Carolina. Jacob Paul I was born in 1710/1720 in Bladen County, NC and died before June 25, 1783 in Natchez District, Mississippi. He was married to a woman named Sarah (no last name given).

Jacob Paul II was also born in Bladen County, NC in 1738/1740 and died After 1792 in Rapides Parish, Louisiana.

Then Jacob Paul III was also born in North Carolina in 1770, Christened in Natchitoches Parish, LA on July 17, 1792, and died in Rapides Parish After 1830.

Jacob Paul II would have been the one who married Rachel O'Brien and the father of Jacob Paul III.

About 20 years ago I received a handwritten version of Saline Paul's account of the family history. She had given the information to to her great niece about 50 years before. The Saline Paul who gave this account was the widow of Mike Paul who was the son of Jacob Paul III (the one who was a baby when the family left North Carolina) and Marie Adolorie Belgard.

Here's the family tree version from about 70 years ago:

Early in the 19th Century Michael and Jacob Paul "came or were sent from France" to Louisiana. Mike was the father of the noted sheriff and confederate captain, Dave Paul.

[Timing: First of all, other information shows Jacob (the first) being born in North Carolina in the 18th century, so they would have had to come from France in the 18th century instead of the 19th century. Second, they came to Louisiana by way of North Carolina--not to Louisiana straight from France.) It appears that Mike and Jacob were brothers who who fled from France.]

Jacob Paul married a Belgard and they had 10 sons and 3 daughters. All the boys were given Bible names except the one who was named for the French King Louis.

Nearly 50 years ago Aunt Saline, Uncle Mike Paul's widow, gave me the following information with the list of names in the order of this. The list follows from the youngest who was my father. I am his youngest son. [as told by Mike Paul]

1. Saline
2. Jacob
3. John the Baptist
4. Samuel
5. Nathaniel
6. Daniel
7. Emanuel
8. Michael (the one whose widow gave his account)
9. Mary Ann
10. Frazer
11. Louis
12. Phillip
13. John

Uncle Emanuel had died at the age of 20 years.

Uncle Mike had 10 children: Pete, Laura, Emma, Jennie, William, Rebecka, Joseph, Lonnie, Alice, Shepard.

Aunt Mary Ann married Peter Bryant and they had 2 children: Nezer and Mary Ann.

Uncle Louis had 8 children: Levi, Felicity, Hezekiah, Willie, Union, Jake, Louis and Marion.

Uncle Phillip had 5 children: Frazier, Fannie, Elias, O'Zanna and Edwin.

Uncle John had 6 children: Leata, Wesly, Hilda, Hettie, Parson, and John Haywood.

Mann O'Neal and J.F. Parsons were Aunt Saline's sons.

Uncle Jacob's children were: Felicity, May Ann, Margaret, Jane, Mary Lorede, Caroline and Dawson.

Uncle Baptiste and his wife had 4 children: Frank, Mann, Lonnie and Lottie.

Uncle Samuel had 3 children: Ellen, Christa and Talbot.

Uncle Nathanial had 3 children: Jacob, Ralph and Willie.

Uncle Daniel had 6 children: Salina, Lahaire, Martha, Phillip, Loried, and Daniel, Jr.

[Uncle Jacob referred to here married Harriet Belgard - that makes two Jacob Pauls married to Belgards?--Harriet and then Marie Adelorie (Delores) Belgard.]

I'm descended from Daniel (Uncle Daniel above) --> Daniel Paul, Jr.-->James Monroe Paul-->James Clay Paul-->Meda Olivia Paul Duplessis.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
J. N. Manning 14 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT 
firstbrn56 10 Jan 2010 8:13AM GMT 
Olivia Paul Duplessis 25 Aug 2001 9:30PM GMT 
DorisFalkenhe... 26 Aug 2001 7:16PM GMT 
DebyGPaul1 12 Mar 2002 9:31PM GMT 
lommiejenkins 7 Jun 2012 1:18PM GMT 
Tonya Salter 3 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
gttacoma 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Tonya Salter 18 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Tonya Salter 6 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
per page