Search for content in message boards

New to Catahoula Research -- Questions on Early Probate George W Rider

Replies: 4

New to Catahoula Research -- Questions on Early Probate George W Rider

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 7:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RIDER
Anyone experienced with researching early records in Catahoula Parish that can provide some advice? I've researched all over the USA, Canada and Germany but I am new to LA research.

A probate ad in 1879 and 1886 and subsequent research led me recently to a cousin who all that was recorded about him was "he married and southern woman and went south." He was from New York born 1779.

South apparently is Catahoula Parish. I have him on a census in Harrisonburg in 1820. I can't find him before or after anywhere in USA. He daughter ended up at some point later in Mississippi and then elsewhere. From a post on this board (regarding another family) I know George W Rider bought property in Sicily Island in 1819 thru auction.

I found an online transcription (not sure if complete or not) of conveyance book c that had two different records of debts that were owed to him. The first had no date but called him deceased. The second (listed in the next record) said succession of George W Rider and was dated 12 Feb 1832. So I'm guessing he was dead by 1832 possibly before since he is not on the 1830 census.

I checked for microfilms of Probate in the Family History Catalog. They are called successions but start in 1846. What about earlier records, like early 1830s or late 1820s?

Would earlier probates be in the Notarial Books which are listed as conveyance in one spot?

Thanks for any advice.

Lisa
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
goneresearchi... 24 Jul 2012 1:37AM GMT 
barbarahaigh 28 Aug 2012 5:12PM GMT 
goneresearchi... 29 Aug 2012 1:56AM GMT 
Lisa_Gilmore_... 29 Aug 2012 3:48AM GMT 
barbarahaigh 29 Aug 2012 5:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions