Search for content in message boards

Hyde Family

Replies: 2

Re: Hyde Family

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 6:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HYDE
Good morning, Cynthia - It was a pleasant surprise to see your Hyde post. I have worked on this Hyde line for many years, and it has been frustrating.I suspect that you have hit many of the same snags. The information I have been able to collect is far from fully verified, and many questions remain. My connection to this line is through Mattie Alice Hyde Wattis, who was a distant cousin to my maternal grandfather, William Charles Lunsford Gleason of Cotton Valley. He and his wife adopted my mother in 1928. William's wife died shortly thereafter (1930). William was a college professor and away from home much of the time. My mother stayed in Cotton Valley with Mattie and Jordan Wattis, and we all grew up thinking of her as our 3rd grandmother.

I expect there are some discrepancies to be resolved. I have Joshua listed as being buried at Shiloh Cemetery in Waldo, Arkansas.

I have Bertha's death at 9/1/1882 from Malaria. There is a headstone at Old Homer Cemetery for "Little Daughter Hyde" - 9/1/1882. Have never been sure if this is Bertha. She would have been 7 years old and it's odd that they did not use her name.

I have William dying at 3/4/1971 and being buried at Shiloh in Waldo. He was married to Piety C (Catherine? She was also referred to as Katie?). I believe they had 2 children - Ollie & Lilla.

I have James Dorsey died 10/30/1953 at Hope, Arkansas and also buried at Shiloh in Waldo. He appears to have been married twice - to a Lenora Blackwell and a Mary E.

Mattie Alice died April 10, 1974 in Cotton Valley and is buried in Cotton Valley Cemetery (also known as Airport Cemetery). She married Jordan Wattis in 1900. Jordan was born 8/28/1877 and died 3/27/1939. He is also buried in Cotton Valley Cemetery. Mattie and Jordan had 4 children of their own. One died at less than a year old. The other three were Telton Elvin, Mary Gladys and Ethel Amelia. My mother was with them from about 1930 until she finished college and started teaching around WWII. She met my father near the end of WWII, married him, and they moved to Ohio where he had been raised.

I have Thomas Gordy born 2/6/1883 and died 5/31/1955 in Cotton Valley. He married Lucy Wise about 1903 and they had at least 2 children - a daughter named Ora Ruth and a son whose name I don't have.

I had Frank Abner born 10/15/1886?

Nannie Mack Hyde Hudgens died 4/30/1977 in Eldorado, Arkansas, and is buried in Shiloh Cemetery at Waldo.

Vera Vesta died 7/31/1967 and is buried at Shiloh Cemetery at Waldo.

I have sketchy info on Marrila/Manila and have not confirmed either name. I believe that she went by Lillian, born 4/11/1896, died 12/5/1993, probably in Longview, TX. She married a McKay according to family memory.

Joshua and his 2nd wife Sarah "Sally" Miner had a daughter Willie Estelle Hyde, born 9/16/1908 and died 9/15/1963. She is buried in Shiloh Cemetery at Waldo.

I hope this helps you add to the data that you have discovered. Your info has added to mine. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to share further.

Randy G. Herbert
Baltimore, MD

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cindyvaughan2... 15 Feb 2013 5:59AM GMT 
RandyHerbert 15 Feb 2013 1:28PM GMT 
cindyvaughan2... 15 Feb 2013 7:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions